Tuesday, November 16, 2021

"The New Testament"

 "And Jesus said unto them, "I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst." (John 6:35 KJV)

 "Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the water, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness." (Isaiah 55:1-2 KJV) 

 As you probably know, this is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible; Isaiah 55 is the so simple, and yet, it is filled with so much complexity and power. Basically, it is all about giving ourselves completely over to the Lord; no reservations, just say: Take me as I am, and make me yours!!! 

 I titled this, The New Testament, because that is basically what Jesus told his disciples when He showed them how to take communion and what it was to represent. This was the point to which God made the law, not because we were expected to not to break it; because that is completely and assuredly impossible for any man or woman to pull off. If Adam and Eve, who had one rule to follow, could not keep it; how then, does anyone expect to keep ten rules? Basically, it was a test! 

 Epic fail! Have you ever planed to do something extraordinary and totally failed at it? Say, like maybe a total fast, no food or water for at least a week? I have made it for about three days, one or twice; but for the most part, when I try to just do three days, about the middle of the second day, I am usually broken and ashamed of myself for quitting. 

 This is how I believe we can relate to the hunger and thirst that is being spoken of; as we have no ability to please God, in our fallen state, and in our sinful bodies. It is this hunger for righteousness that makes us frail and starving for something to give our soul strength. Thirst is just a stronger way to see that need, as the dryness of desert cries out for any kind of moisture, so too, there is nothing in us to satisfy the need to fellowship with He that made us and loves us, despite what we are! 

 All those sheep and bulls and doves, sacrificed for generations, they were nothing but a covering for sin; they did nothing to remove the stain! It was a stain that God could see; it was also a stain that we could see also! I know that God forgives me, because He has said that He will and He does; but I am troubled still by my sins; even though I know that they are forgiven by God, they are still a pain in me. 

 The hunger has been satisfied, as I have all the righteousness that I need, because Jesus is that righteousness! But, I thirst; each and every day, I thirst for fellowship that is not easily broken or that is always taken down by my distractions and connections with this world. Other than that, all is well and I can simply rejoice in abiding in Christ; but when it comes to maintaining that fellowship, it is like breaking a fast, epic fail! 

 I know that it is just me, and nobody else can relate. So don't feel bad if you can't understand what I am trying to say. But, it is something that I must continually deal with, as if it is haunting me to think about the past. Something we all cannot change! The past is gone; we cannot go back to change what has already been done: just like we cannot undo what Christ has done to redeem our souls! It is Finished...

"And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take of the water freely." (Revelation 22:17 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment