Saturday, December 22, 2018

"Hope Speaks"

"The proud have had me greatly in derision: yet have I not declined from thy law." (Psalms 119:51)

  You might be wondering how I came up with the title above; but to be perfectly honest, it was not the title that I wanted to go with; not even close! The first thing we need to understand about saying nothing, is it prevents those that want to mock what you say, to instead have to focus upon what you do. Typical, I know. I love the way God speaks, because there is really no other to make a point, but to use the tip of His written Word. Anyone out there that understands what I just said, you know it is the way that He gets to the 'heart' of the matter. Some might call it being blindsided; I will choose to call it, getting to the point. We can dance around the issue at hand all we want to, but when God wants to get our attention, He uses something insignificant to distract us, and then, jab! Right in the heart and He gets our attention! Matthew Henry sums up this verse by saying, "Those can bear but little for Christ that cannot bear a hard word for him." I cannot tell you the number of times I have neglected to speak out, even though I felt the Holy Spirit directing me to do so. For what? The fear of being laughed at? To be scorned? What was it that made me remain silent? Maybe it was the fear of not knowing what to say? If that be the case, I was being a bigger idiot than those I was fearful of speaking to! We have got to understand something of vital importance! When the Holy Spirit wants you to open your mouth, it is because He has something to say! I know this verses is David speaking about how the proud around him mocked him for his belief. David was a very religious man, and he was not afraid of letting people know how he felt. But, this is also speaking to our pride; how the pride within our own hearts stops us from speaking when it is time to speak. But more than that! Our pride keeps us from doing when it is time to do! To pray with someone that is suffering. To reach out and help someone in need. The simple little things that matter more than words. My mom always use to tell me, "Actions speak louder than words"...

"Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing." And the soldiers gambled for his clothes by throwing dice. The crowd watched and the leaders scoffed. "He saved others," they said, "let him save himself if he is really God's Messiah, the Chosen One." The soldiers mocked him, too, by offering him a drink of sour wine. They called out to him, "If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!" A sign was fastened above him with these words: "This is the King of the Jews."" (Luke 23:34-38) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment