Sunday, December 9, 2018

"A Brand New Day"

"Stablish thy word unto thy servant, who is devoted to thy fear." (Psalms 119:38)

 I was reminded about something very important this morning, that we are not only called by God, but that He has chosen us to be in His Kingdom. Excuse me if I was being distracted by my own infirmities, what a mess that can cause, if I focus too much on any of that. Maybe giving you a new way to look at this verse might help enlighten you, as the NLT has it like this: "Reassure me of your promise, made to those who fear you." Reassurance is something we all could use a little more of, as well as the need we have to remain in fellowship with other believers. If there is one thing I lack, it is fellowship; my desire is to be at Wednesday Night Bible Study, yet every time I plan to go, it seems there is another issue that stops me. If I am going to be serious about running the race, I had better start doing everything possible to run well. If it is understanding that we lack, we lack it because we have not asked for it. Sometimes not asking for it is not a lack of us not asking, it is a lack of knowing that we need the instruction. This morning I was awakened by a very strange dream, one in which I was carrying around a baby, and when I had a chance to rest, I lifted him up over my face, and the baby was me. Peter uses the word, "New born babes," to describe what we must be like when it comes to understanding God's Word. We will never be enlightened enough to not need to learn, no matter how much we study and read His Word. We should also never be in the frame of mind that we have our lives under control. The fear of the Lord is something that Peter figured out pretty quickly when he thought he could walk on water. The same is the case when we think we can handle things on our own. God will not be upset with us for asking for more strength and love, He wants us to admit that we lack what it takes. That is what I see this verse meaning, at least in my life; that I need to admit my failures, believe in His promises, and hold onto Him with all of my heart...

"For Jesus Christ, the Son of God does not waver between "Yes" and "No." He is the one whom Silas, Timothy, and I preached to you, and as God's ultimate "Yes," he always does what he says. For all of God's promises have been fulfilled in Christ with a resounding "Yes!" And through Christ, our "Amen" (which means "Yes") ascends to God for his glory. It is God who enables us, along with you, to stand firm for Christ. He has commissioned us, and he has identified us as his own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything he has promised us." (2 Corinthians 1:19-22) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment