Friday, February 24, 2017

"Surrender to Weakness"

"What man is he that liveth, and shall not see death? Shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave? Selah." (Psalms 89:48)
I don't care how strong a person might think that they are, when it's time to go, there is no strength that we have within us to stop death from happening, none whatsoever. We might even think we have all the time in the world to make up our minds or to surrender this or that to the Lord, but we don't; and truth be told, even the idea that we think it's an option is thumbing our nose at God's grace upon our lives. We actually cheapen His grace by thinking such a thing in our hearts, as if His grace allows us to continue to sin, just because His mercy has no end. Well, I wouldn't want to be the one to tell you so, but you might want to study up on that kind of attitude. God wants His children to at least try to please Him! I mean, sure we mess up and we sometimes go astray; but both of those things are things that happen to those that are trying and are headed in the right direction. What can make us try harder? I don't know why, but I keep going back to this same question: Is it fear or love; which one has the greatest power to make me want to please God? I'm not saying that I don't want to please Him, because I really do; except when I want to sin, then I am only interested in pleasing myself, sad to say. Have you ever smashed an ant with your finger? I do it quite often; it is how I determine if what I am looking at is either an Argentine Ant or an Odorous House Ant; if it does not stink when I raise my finger to my nose, then I know not to mess around and start spraying chemicals to try and control them; all that will do is cause multiple infestations. My point is not about ant control, it's about how vulnerable we are to death! Just like that ant, the one stuck to our finger, that's how easy it is for our life to be over and done! One might want to consider if they will stink or not; When God puts His finger to His nose, will I stink? I know that's not reality, but it should something that we consider. Keeping that image in mind, I have to consider that both fear and love have somewhat equal degrees of motivation: We love Him because He first loved us and gave Himself for us; but we fear Him because we know that He can smash us like a bug. It's like one foot in front of the other, love and fear go hand in hand; if we love Him we will fear Him, and if we fear Him we will love Him...
"Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice that will cover these sins. There is only the terrible expectation of God's judgment and the raging fire that will consume his enemies. For anyone who refused to obey the law of Moses was put to death without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Just think how much worse the punishment will be for those that have trampled on the Son of God, and have treated the blood of the covenant, which made us holy, as if it were common and unholy, and have insulted and disdained the Holy Spirit who brings God's mercy to us. For we know the one who said, "I will take revenge. I will pay them back." He also said, "The LORD will judge his own people." It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (Hebrews 10:26-31) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment