Thursday, February 9, 2017

"Can't Be Erased"

"My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips." (Psalms 89:34)
Maybe we just don't understand completely what it means to say something and actually keep a promise. With the rate of divorce in the world, it would seem there is about a 50/50 chance of a vow being kept, so is it any wonder that we have our doubts? Well, if you are one of those that might have a little doubt about God's promises, then you need to put that doubt to rest, because what God promises He will do, He will do! I'm not sure how else to say this, but there might be times when I seem have some doubts; not about God, but about myself. Maybe it's just me, but there are times when I seriously consider the authenticity of my own salvation; even after all these many decades of walking with the Lord, the question still presents its self, now and again. So, is that something that I should be concerned about? I don't think so, not in the least. If I never doubted if I was really saved or not, especially if I am having a sinful moment, then I might need to be concerned. But as it is, just that fact that I do get concerned, that in itself tells me that I am. If that does not make sense to you, then I'm sorry; not for what I said, but I'm sorry for you! There are two things happening within us, we that have been born of the Spirit; the first and foremost thing, is that of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is constantly there to help us, to comfort us, and to guide us; but He will not force us to do anything. There is where the other thing comes into action, which is a changed heart. It is this heart we have within us that makes us react or not react to what the Holy Spirit instructs us to do. God has turned our heart of stone into a heart of flesh; but in the process of changing our hearts, He etched something upon that heart while it was still stone. The harder our hearts become, whether that is because of unconfessed sin or unforgiveness, the more that something becomes visible and more profound. Much like His word that can never be erased, so to is this new thing that is written upon our hearts. What could this thing be, you might ask? It's a new name, and it is also written in heaven, safe and secure! Every time I begin to doubt, it's because I am not acting as I should, I am not living in a way that matches this new name that I have been given; the harder my heart becomes, the more profound the contrast becomes; but it never goes away. That's how I know! But you might have some other proof that is more profound to you; say, like the fact that you are perfect and don't ever sin...
"This was the message Balaam delivered: "Rise up, Balak, and listen! Hear me, son of Zippor. God is not a man, so he does not lie. He is no human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through? Listen, I received a command to bless; God has blessed, and I cannot reverse it! No misfortune is in his plan for Jacob; no trouble is in store for Israel. For the LORD their God is with them; he has been proclaimed their king. God brought them out of Egypt; for them he is as strong as a wild ox. No curse can touch Jacob; no magic has any power against Israel. For now it will be said of Jacob, 'What wonders God has done for Israel!' These people rise up like a lioness, like a majestic lion rousing itself. They refuse to rest until they have feasted on prey, drinking the blood of the slaughtered!"" (Numbers 23:18-24) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment