Thursday, February 23, 2017

"Surrender to Emptyness"

"Remember how short my time is: wherefore hast thou made all men in vain?" (Psalms 89:47)
Consider something interesting about Jonah, and what he might have been thinking when he thought that he could run and hide from God. You know what I am talking about; it's the same thing that we do when we pretend that God cannot see us while we do those things that make us naughty; as if, somehow the blinds are shut, and no one is watching, not even God. As I was reading this verse this morning, a song came to mind, which says, "Empty me of me, and fill me with You." At least I think that it's a song; if not, it is one now! It's not just that we need to be filled with the Spirit, we need to be emptied of ourselves. It's like that little book, "My Heart, Christ's Home." There is that one part in the book, the part where the Lord says, "What's that smell coming from that closet?" And then the heart says, "That's my personal private stuff; you can't have that!" At least that's how I remember it happening. If anything, these last few verses are not complaints, but petitions in the form of a question; a question that no doubt points right back to us, and our dependence upon God to make it through to the other side of this life. I know how weak I am, no one needs to remind me of that; but I seldom remember how strong I can be, if that is, if I surrender completely to the Lord. I'm talking about when I sin; it's when I sin that I seldom remember; mostly because I choose not to remember, nor do I want to, in the midst of my sinning. But man O man, I sure remember how weak I am afterwards, as I plead for forgiveness. But that's just me; I'm sure that none of you have any of my issues. Regardless of what we struggle with, the Lord would have us to surrender it to Him. We don't even need to try and change it or do anything with it; we just need to give it to Him, and He will clean it out, paint it new, and fill it with things that are pleasant to Him. But do you know what it is that causes us to not give it all to Him? Time! Yep, that's what it is, it's me thinking that I'm not ready yet, and that I still have time. Time to make up my mind; time to hold onto something that I don't want to let go; time to give Him those keys to the closet, and to my whole house...
"Look here, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit." How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the mourning fog -it's here for a little while, then it's gone. What you aught to say is, "If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that." Otherwise you are boasting about your own plans, and such boasting is evil. Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it." (James 4:13-17) NLT 

No comments:

Post a Comment