Friday, April 1, 2016

"Rock of Ages"

"The earth and all the inhabitants thereof are dissolved: I bear of the pillars of it. Selah." (Psalms 75:3) Once upon a time, it was thought that the earth was flat; how that was determined, I have no idea. But if you wanted to take a guess, it could have been possibly because of a verse like this and someone thinking pillars supported the earth. That's what happens when you take the word of God out of context; which is not that hard to do, if you are only slicing up the word for your own gratification. Yesterday I heard a message about this very thing, and I thought for a moment that I might fit into that category. But that's not what this is at all. This is me sharing my life, my thoughts, my hope, and my faith; I just happen to be allowing God's word to express my daily adventures and lessons. As I said in the very beginning, this is a living journal, that is all. It's not me teaching anyone the Scriptures; if any thing, it's me sharing to anyone who is listening what God is teaching me. These are amazing mornings that I get to experience in fellowship with God; and so far, I am sure this is exactly what He wants me to do. Some days are about teaching and some are just about listening; but hardly a day goes by where God does not get out His chisel and chip away at the stubbornness. Isn't that what we want God to do in our hearts? Isn't that what sanctification is all about? It's a daily journey as we walk with Jesus, expecting Him to teach us and mold us into His image, one day at a time. Sure, we are new creatures from the very start, but we are refined daily until the day we stand in His presence. If you are not being changed, then you are not growing. That's just the way I see it, so you can take it or leave it, it will not change the way I look at it in the very least. There is hardly a day that goes by when I don't ask God to teach me something new, to show me something special, or to remind me of something important; and when you are expectant of God showing up, He seldom disappoints. If I may, let me take a stab at my view of this verse we have before us today; not that I am trying to teach or anything, but just sharing what God speaks into my heart. I believe we can all agree that Jesus has created all things, and that through Him all things exist and are held together, right? Good; that's a start in the understanding of the way things work; because the next part in that way of seeing things for what they are, is to accept the fact that He never changes or is affected by age or time; in other words, even though all the earth and it's inhabitants are dissolved, He always remains the same; He is always holding everything together, just as He always has, and always will. No matter what is dissolved or created, He is the foundation upon which it stands...
"You were cleansed from your sins when you obeyed the truth, so now you must show sincere love to each other as brothers and sisters. Love each other deeply with all your heart. For you have been born again, but not to a life that will quickly end. Your new life will last forever because it comes from the eternal, living word of God. As the Scriptures say, "People are like grass; their beauty is like a flower in the field. The grass withers and the flower fades. But the word of the Lord remains forever." And that word is the Good News that was preached to you. So get rid of all evil behavior. Be done with all deceit, hypocrisy, jealousy, and all unkind speech. Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation. Cry out for this nourishment, now that you have had a taste of the Lord's kindness. You are coming to Christ, who is the Living Cornerstone of God's Temple. He was rejected by people, but He was chosen by God for great honor." (1 Peter 1:22-24) NLT    

No comments:

Post a Comment