Thursday, October 15, 2015

"How Bad I Am"

"O God, Thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from Thee." (Psalms 69:5) You get the point? I hope so, because it makes such a big difference where we stand with God when we know where we stand without Him. I am a sinner that has been saved by grace! That's all there is to it; I know that, and God knows it even more than I do. You see, there is the biggest asset and liability that have, in that God knows everything there is to know about us. It is an asset, because there is no way that He does not know exactly what we need; He knows what will break me, and He knows what will build me up; He knows how I am wired, and He knows how to change my heart. It is a liability, because there is nothing hidden from His sight! I cannot pretend that God did not see that thing I did last night, because I know in my heart that He did; so this morning I am asking Him to forgive me for my foolishness and my evil thoughts. And yes, I said thoughts. I do not need to physically do something for it to be a sin, and neither do you. There is another misnomer about what sin actually means, because there are some that think it is only a sin when our evil desires or thoughts are acted upon. Jesus put that theory to bed several different times; because it's all about the intentions of our heart; it's what we have going on in our heart that matters most to God. Based upon my heart, I can kill dozens of people a day, and I can committed adultery around almost every corner; so you can see how bad I really am! I can spend all day asking God for forgiveness! It's mostly when I am behind the wheel that I get so dangerous; I just can't stand stupid drivers. And as far as committing adultery, I always try not to look twice, but sometimes once is all it takes when you have photographic vision. Actually, sometimes the second look turns out to be not as good as the first, because the flaws will appear upon further examination. I have learned that it helps to pray for people that you hate or lust after, besides just praying for yourself; that way you gain a little different perspective about the other person. My point to this crazy post, is that it matters what we think, not just what we do. Compared with others, I am pretty good, if I am looking at my actions and my physical qualities; but that is not how God sees me, He sees my heart and every little thought that comes into my foolish mind. This is also an asset, if you are looking for a God that is all knowing and all powerful; a God in whom you can trust... "This is what the LORD says: "Cursed are those that put their trust in mere humans, who rely on human strength and turn their hearts away from the LORD. They are stunted shrubs in the desert, with no hope for the future. They will life in barren wilderness, in an uninhabited salty land. But blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along the riverbank. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit. The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is? But I, the LORD, search all hearts and examine secret motives. I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve."" (Jeremiah 17:5-10) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment