Monday, July 16, 2012

"God Does Listen"

"I have called upon Thee, for Thou wilt hear me, O God: incline Thine ear unto me, and hear my speech." (Psalms 17:6) Do you ever automatically blame God when bad things happen? If you consider the question, 'God, how could you let this happen?'; what kind of a question is that, if not blame? Is not simply asking God, 'WHY???', also blaming God for something that has happened? Do you think that John Bradford was blaming God for what was about to happen, just before they were going to light him up? Or was he counting upon God's grace to lead him home? As he had no doubt previously asked God for his protection, and acted upon having received it prior, by stating, "There but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford"; and now, faced with the certainty of death, he most move past protection and the holding onto this life; counting on God's grace now for that merry supper with the Lord. Some people may read David's words in this verse and think that he is doubting that God will listen, as he says, "incline Thine ear unto me, and hear my speech". Yet, David has no doubt whatsoever that God is listening, and he begins this verse by proclaiming so, as he says, "I have called upon Thee, for Thou wilt hear me, O God". It is not as though God has stepped away, or that He is busy doing other God things and does not have time for listening right now; our God is much bigger than that! Another way to look at what David is saying, would be, "God, I know that you hear me when I speak; therefore, hear me now as I speak". It is not a question of does God hear, but rather a matter of trusting that God does listen! This same principle can be applied to God's grace, and that tightrope illustration from yesterday; for we are assured that His grace will sustain us, and we can be assured that His grace will secure us when we slip or fall; whatever might happen, even that of being burnt at the stake! Therefore; when it comes to asking God why or how He could allow something to happen, maybe we should first consider how much He loves us; then perhaps we might have the proper perspective on how we should approach Him with our response. Much like David, who knows how much that God loves him, saying, "Lord, I am calling out to you, because I know that you listen to my voice, because I know that you love and care for me". Our God is so much bigger than we could ever imagine; yet He is never too big to hear our cries, or to care for the concerns we are faced with; it is only a matter of adjusting our own perspectives... "To whom then will ye liken Me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One. Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: He calleth them by names by the greatness of His might, for that He is strong in power; not one faileth. Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest thou, O Israel, My way is hid from the LORD, and my judgement is passed over from my God? Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of His understanding. He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might He increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: but they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Keep silence before Me, O islands; and let the people renew their strength: let them come near; then let them speak: let us come near together to judgement." (Isaiah 40:25-41:1) 

No comments:

Post a Comment