Thursday, September 5, 2024

"The Morning Fog"

 "For who knoweth what is good for man in this life, all the days of his vain life which he spendeth as a shadow? for who can tell a man what shall be after him under the sun?" (Ecclesiastes 6:12 KJV)

 "Look here, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit." How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog - it's here a little while, then it's gone. What you ought to say is, "If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that." Otherwise you are boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil. Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it." (James 4:13-17 NLT)

 I really wish there was something else to talk about this morning, because this specific topic is not what I would like to start my day with; especially not knowing where it might be going. Have you ever thought you could do something to better your life, only to find out that your plans you made, only made your life harder to manage? 

 It really doesn't take too many mistakes to cause us to stop and think we don't have control, as much as we thought we did. When you read Psalm 73, "A Psalm of Asaph," it starts with him saying how he almost slipped away from following the Lord, just because he started to envy those who were wicked and yet were very prosperous. They seemed to be able to do what they wanted, and yet, still they became successful and their riches multiply. 

 Asaph asked himself, "Did I keep my heart pure for nothing? Did I keep myself innocent for no reason?" Suddenly he has a special different view, saying, "Then I went into your sanctuary, O God, and I finally understood the destiny of the wicked." (Psalms 73:17) What a difference our lives become, once we see where we must be and what it is that matters the most. 

 There are some days when I feel as though everything, I have done, was just for nothing, until I see that God's hand was on my life, even though I might have strayed, gone of course, or made mistakes, He has never stopped holding onto me! Oh, it hurts a little to see the consequences of things done wrong, but He still has control, even in the darkest times, even when I think things are too far gone. 

 "Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it." Without question, this is more than just a little boasting or making plans without first checking with God; this is about being His child, listening to His commands, knowing that His ways are best, and believing that there is nothing better...

"Then I realized that my heart was bitter, and I was so foolish and ignorant - I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you. Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand. You guild me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny. Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever. Those who desert him will perish, for you destroy those who abandon you. But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign LORD my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do." (PSALM 73:21-28 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment