Sunday, September 19, 2021

"Witnesses to Jesus"

 "If I were to testify on my own behalf, my testimony would not be valid. But someone else is also testifying about me, and I assure you that everything he says about me is true. In fact, you sent investigators to listen to John the Baptist, and his testimony about me was true. 

 "Of course, I have no need of human witnesses, but I say these things so you might be saved. John was like a burning and shining lamp, and you were excited for a while about his message. But I have a greater witness than John - my teachings and miracles. The Father gave me these works to accomplish, and they prove that he sent me. And the Father who sent me has testified about me himself. You have never heard his voice or seen him face to face, and you do not have his message in your hearts, because you do not believe me - the one he sent to you.

 "You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! Yet you refuse to come to me to receive this life. 

 "Your approval means nothing to me, because I know you don't have God's love within you. For I have come to you in my Father's name, and you have rejected me. Yet if others come in their own name, you will gladly welcome them. No wonder you can't believe! For you gladly honor each other, but you don't care about the honor that comes from the one who alone is God.

 "Yet it isn't I who will accuse you before the Father. Moses will accuse you! Yes, Moses, in whom you put your hopes. If you really believed Moses, you would believe me, because he wrote about me. But since you don't believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?" (John 5:31-47 NLT)

 Enough said! I was actually looking forward to some sort of response; but as Jesus said, He really did not need their approval! I really feel as though this is a portion of Scripture that I am going to enjoy, as we see the importance of what we really care about when it comes to massaging and sharing our faith with others. Not that I have been faithfully doing that, because it is something I know I have neglected to do, faithfully. It really hurts my heart to say that; but on the other hand, it is good to feel the hurt that comes from not doing what we should! 

 One thing that God has put upon my heart, which I am trying so strongly to listen to and obey, is that of praying for people. I don't mean that I will pray for someone, as in get alone and pray for them, but to actually follow the prompting from the Lord, and ask them if I can pray with or for them. I don't know about you, but when I feel God's prompting for me to pray, I believe that there is a reason and a purpose behind it; the sum of which I really don't know or really even need to know; but when I am done, I know that the Lord was present and that He had spoken, not me! 

 If you have any sort of prompting, whether it is to pray over someone or to share God's word, you must answer the call and let God use you in that moment. Don't put it off or shrug away from the prompting of the Holy Spirit in your life! It is really important that we do not quench the Spirit's work, because He may not prompt you again until your heart has been changed, if that even happens! Good news for you, if that is where you might be at: He loves giving second chances; sometimes, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, and, well you get the point. If you still have breath, breath for God! 

 I know that I can get carried away sometimes; maybe sway sometimes outside the lines. But to be as honest as I possibly can, I truly believe that we are all called to be witnesses to Jesus, in one form or another, because it is what we are still here to do! If your work here is done, then it is best that you are taken home; "idle hands are the devil's workshop," as the saying goes. 

 We are all called to do something, so if you don't know what it is that God has for you to do, you had better ask Him to show you the calling, or call you home...

 "Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.

 "Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father." (Colossians 3:12-17 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment