Wednesday, July 21, 2021

"The Quiz"

 "The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw." (John 4:15 KJV)

 "So this is the situation: Most of the people of Israel have not found the favor of God they are looking for so earnestly. A few have - the ones God has chosen - but the hearts of the rest were hardened. As the Scriptures say, "God has put them into a deep sleep. To this day he has shut their eyes so they do not see, and closed their ears so they do not hear."" (Hebrews 11:7-8 NLT)

  If you might have ever seen the little quiz of the sketch that shows a face of an old woman, yet hidden within that sketch is a beautiful young woman, then you might get the picture that is being presented here in this illustration. In a way, this woman knows that she needs the water Jesus is speaking of, she just does not yet see what it is for or how it actually works. 

  It is really a lot like the encounter Nicodemus had, as he can wanting to know who Jesus really was; but he left knowing how much he needed Jesus to save him! We really do not know what it is that we need; as it turns out, we think we needed to be kept safe and secure, but safe and secure does not give us freedom. The more we strive to find rest, hoping for rest, and longing for a time to rest, the more we need the rest that we keep striving for and the further away it seems. 

  In the long and short of this conversation, Jesus knows our heart! He knows exactly what it is that we need, because He knows the heart; which means that He knows what makes you tick, what makes you do what you do, and what it will take to get you fixed! Even if we know nothing at all and cannot see the trees through the forest, it only takes a little bit of Light to open up the human heart. 

  I titled this, The Quiz, only because that is the situation going on with in this woman's heart. In this moment, she has a need; as much as anyone can need something, she is feeling it pressing down upon her. I know what this is like, because I have experienced it more than once or twice. The first time was back in 1981, when I heard that voice, feeling there was something I needed to hear, but not knowing what it was or what it was for; just knowing that I needed to hear it.

  From time to time, I have experienced going to church or meetings; knowing full well that I needed to go, but not knowing for what or why, except I needed to hear from the Lord about something. I can recall a special moment at Calvary Chapel San Jose, as I was dealing with some financial problems and issues that were overwhelming. Pastor Damian says to open up the Bible to Ephesian chapter one, and no sooner as I turned there he started reading, "Grace to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ." 

  To be perfectly honest, I don't think I have the ability to express the kind of transformation I felt in that moment; but it was as if there was nothing else that mattered but that God's hand was upon my life! If God has His hand upon you, you are loved, you are safe, and you are free: so it is okay to rest...

"The Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light." (Matthew 11:28-30 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment