Tuesday, December 10, 2019

"Evil Pursues Sinners"

"Let not an evil speaker be established in the earth: evil shall hunt the violent man to overthrow him." (Psalms 140:11)

  Not that it is a surprise or anything, but there is a little thing called justice; and justice will always be served! I actually took this title from the end of Matthew Henry's commentary on this verse; please forgive me, if that bothers you that I did that. I thought it was rather thought provoking, to say the least. It caused me to think back to all of things I did wrong in my youth, and how, every time I heard a police car close by, I thought that they were looking for me. If you could associate this to anything that might be easy to explain or talk about, there is something closely familiar with how this works along side what happens when we lie about something or make up something to try and get ahead in this life. Taking one of the definitions for the word, "violent," it is closely associated with falsehood, or injustice; a false witness; or wrongfully doing something to make yourself better off, over that of another person. Much as was the case in the life of Haman, who plotted and lied in order to have Mordecai hung on the gallows, only to be hung himself on the gallows he had made. I mean, if you wanted a good illustration, that is pretty much a some-it-all-up kind of one to use. I would like to rather associate this with something positive, Psalms 23:6 is what comes to mind! I mean, really, the whole of Psalms 23 is more like it, but verse 6 is the thing that sums it up. Verse 1 starts it off, saying, "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want." If you think about it, there are many of the Ten Commandments that are fulfilled within this one statement. Even Paul uses this analogy to explain how he knew that he was a sinner, saying, "What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet." (Romans 7:7) No, this makes perfect sense! If you want to be pursed by goodness, which is pretty much the same as be followed by goodness, then the Lord needs to be your Shepherd! If there is anything we can do that is humanly possible to do: Be one of His sheep, and abide. I like the message Pastor Bryan shared the other day, it was one I shared on before, but with a little twist. He shared the story about the big rock God told a man to move; and that the man spent all of his life trying to move that rock; and one day he asked God, Why did you ask me to move this rock, when you knew I could not move it? And God answered, Look at you body...

"Evil pursueth sinners: but to the righteous good shall be repayed." (Proverbs 13:21)

No comments:

Post a Comment