Wednesday, December 25, 2019

"An Object of Pity"

"I cried unto the LORD with my voice; with my voice unto the LORD did I make my supplication." (Psalms 142:1)

  If you have ever been in this sort of situation, then you might know what the experience is like; not having anything else to do but pray, and just wait for the whole thing to be over. Imagine what it might have felt like, just in case you don't already know. You are trapped inside a cave, hiding and not sure if those outside are wondering if you might be in there, if they even are planning to storm inside at any minute to kill you or arrest you, or maybe just drag you out. I have had these sort of experiences in my youth; both with the law out to get me, with enemies wanting to cause me serious harm, and with a angry drunken step-father wanting to use me for target practice. You really can not imagine how it feels, but it is much like a nightmare that you just want to make it through and come out alive. All three of those examples above were pretty much caused by my own stupidity and anger; but David is where he is because of Saul's heart being turned against him, and consequently, being turned also against God. Yes, he was still the king, and because of that David was reluctant to come against him. For David, much like it was to be in the cave, he just needed to wait it out; to wait for this period of being hunted to be over. Not to argue over the little things, but the point about "voice" has me a little curious, especially since the word speaks about it being a loud voice, like a thundering voice, or a proclamation. Maybe the point is more about an overshadowing inner voice, as in the way you might drawn out everything else, by forcibly putting every bit of thought and emotion that you have inside you, and crying out to God from within. I'm just saying, crying out loud would no doubt blow your cover. Besides that, the word supplication is speaking about someone that has no way out, to be an object of pity, where there is nothing you can possibly do to change your situation; your only hope is for God to rescue you or change your situation. Wow, that sure sounds like something Glorious to celebrate, if that is something God might do...

"And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tiding of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you, Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." (Luke 2:10-14)

No comments:

Post a Comment