Sunday, October 13, 2019

"Almost Everything"

"And hath redeemed us from our enemies: for his mercy endureth for ever." (Psalms 136:24)

  Before you go, let me remind you who the enemy is, and why it makes this one simple word, "redeemed," more important than everything; compared to this, everything else is absolutely meaningless! Jesus made this point, using fear as the motivation, saying, "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28) We have several different factors that cause us to get distracted from the race before us: our own weakness is the main thing that attaches to many of the big ones. We have an enemy that, although he cannot read our minds, he can observe our weaknesses; and the biggest tool in his toolbox is discouragement. What discouragement does in the heart of a believer, is to cause that believer to loose confidence in God's love and forgiveness. To better illustrate what this might look like, it is like a child feeling as though he or she is not loved as much as another brother or sister; as if there is something wrong with them that makes them less loved by their mother or father. Jesus concluded His statement saying, "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows." (Matthew 10:29-31) The point I believe God is trying to get me to see, is that our redemption far surpasses everything; it supersedes every weakness, every failure, and even every sin, past, present, or future! The word is hard to express, because it speaks mostly about breaking away, or tearing apart, or to be broken off: to be torn in pieces! These are all very strong ways to describe what is considered to be very violent actions; but if you think about it, I mean really put some soul-searching thought into it, what the Father allowed to happen for our redemption, was some very violent actions against His Son! One other word to consider, is the one that makes it most personal to you and to me: it is the word, "snatch," as in, to be ripped up out of the jaws of hell! I am convinced that there is nothing that can snatch me from God's hand, because He has redeemed me! Oh, I have flaws and weaknesses, as does anyone else this side of Heaven; but if He knows every hair on my head, He also knows every flaw and weakness I have; He has known them all along! If the enemy wants to try and discourage me and make me feel ashamed before my Heavenly Father, there is something else that has been torn to pieces, and that is the million pages that holds the list of my sins! Jesus made this happen: My Redeemer Lives...

""Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."" (Matthew 10:32-33)

No comments:

Post a Comment