Thursday, December 10, 2015

"Innumerable"

"My mouth shall show forth Thy righteousness and Thy salvation all the day; for I know not the number thereof." (Psalms 71:15) Not that I am counting, but today is the last day to make good on those changes; because starting tomorrow, there are twenty one days left till New Years Day; just saying. The NLT has a little different take on this verse, although they do make mention of this version in a footnote; but the way they explain what David is trying to say, instead of not being able to count it, they make to more about putting into words, saying, "though I am not skilled with words." Maybe giving names to all the stars in the sky makes a happy medium; although God has them all named already (Psalms 147:4). John finishes off his Gospel by indicating how impossible it is to list all that Jesus has ever done, saying, "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written." You stop and think about what that might imply, and you are talking about a lot of books; talk about "a gazillion books," I think that does not even define the number. Not that any of us trying to count, nor want to; but how often do we sin during one twenty four hour period? As I was thinking about yesterday, it was hard to keep up with the number; every thought, and every non-caring inaction; I guess it depends how deep you want to look into the heart, because these hearts of ours can get pretty murky. I drive around in the city a lot, so this time of the year it gets pretty crazy out there; if you can understand my sentiment towards stupid drivers. The other day I actually had to repent for my outburst; not that I actually said anything, but I sure could have; it's just that I realized how angry I can get, and how little I really care about what is going on in the other persons life. I was behind some elderly woman while getting onto the freeway, and she slowed down to twenty miles an hour to merge onto the freeway, a freeway that was moving along at seventy miles an hour; I actually thought for a moment she was going to pull over a wait. Then when I passed her, I could see that she was obviously very scared; she most likely would have avoided the freeway if she could have, and I felt bad for getting mad at her. Even though I tried really really hard yesterday to keep it together, if I was in a hurry, together went right out the window. I heard a pastor share something on the radio awhile back; I may have mentioned it before, but it bares repeating; and I will try to make it brief. He told about a time when he was standing behind someone at the register in a Pharmacy; and while this younger gentleman was trying to give money to the cashier, he was taking forever. The cashier did not seem to care, but he was starting to really loose patience, and was almost going to say something. But then the man turned to leave, and he noticed that he did not have any hands...
"Dear brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged more strictly. Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way. We can make a large horse go wherever we want by means of a small bit in its mouth. And a small rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot chooses to go, even though the winds are strong. In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself. People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and fish, but no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! Does a spring of bubble out with both fresh water and bitter water? Does a fig tree produce olives, or a grapevine produce figs? No, and you can't draw fresh water from a salty spring." (James 3:1-12) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment