Friday, December 18, 2015

"Greatness In Us"

"I will also praise Thee with the psaltery, even Thy truth, O my God: unto Thee will I sing with the harp, O Thou Holy One of Israel." (Psalms 71:22) I'm not one to go running down the street proclaiming God's great work in me; but you do have to wonder how it is that we get more excited over football than we do about Jesus raising up from the dead. I can recall once, oh about twenty-eight years ago, there was a group of us that just finished up a Men's Retreat with our church, Hosanna Chapel. Pastor Gary was very impressed with the way we sang at the Retreat, so he had us get up before service and sing for the church; I think the song was about "Blow the Trumpet in Zion," "Victory Song," or something like that; but the twelve or fifteen of us rocked the house in a way I never would have thought. Maybe it was the old movie theater we were gathered in, but it was load and exciting. We have something in us that is more special that anything else on this earth; because, long after this earth is gone, we will still praising the Lord in Heaven. Maybe it's just not new anymore, and so it's not as exciting as it was on that special day. Do you realize today that you have been given eternal life? I woke up wishing this one was over, as I have been given something else as of late, something called a bug; I don't know which needs more attention, so I just sit on the toilet holding a trash can. Needless to say, it was a long night and a quick morning! Oh, I just thought of something else that matches the experience, it's called this life! Not that I don't enjoy hanging out, but let's get real; this life is tearing us apart day by day, and before you know it, it's going to be over. Can you think of a better place you could be right now? I believe that I am here to care for my wife; it is what I promised her I would do, and with all of my strength, I am going to do it. There is another example of the greatness in us; not that we are any more special for doing something that we said that we would; that's just keeping our vow, and in this day and age, it's not all that impressive to the masses. As a matter of fact, most will just be jealous or bitter over their own failures. They might say nice things when you are around, but as soon as your gone, they tear you down as being weird or indifferent. But that's the thing! We are different; we are a little weird; and it's all because of the One who dwells in us, is not of this world...
 "In that day you will sing: "I will praise you, O LORD! You were angry with me, but not anymore. Now you comfort me. See, God has come to save me. I will trust in Him and not be afraid. The LORD GOD is my strength and my song; He has given me victory." With joy you will drink deeply from the fountain of salvation! In that wonderful day you will sing: "Thank You LORD! Praise His Name! Tell the nations what He has done. Let them know how mighty He is! Sing to the LORD, for He has done wonderful things. Make known His praise around the world. Let all the people of Jerusalem shout His praise with joy! For great is the Holy One of Israel who lives among us." (Isaiah 12) NLT    

No comments:

Post a Comment