Monday, June 15, 2015

"Talking To God"

"Hear my voice, O God, in my prayer: preserve my life from fear of the enemy." (Psalms 64:1) To get right to the point, God does listen when we speak to Him, of that I am totally convinced, and nobody is going to tell me otherwise; but does it matter if we actually speak out loud to Him when we pray? Yes, I believe that it most certainly does! It might not effect His hearing what we say, but it does communicate our voice with clear words from our heart to His; if that makes any sense to anyone out there. When I silently pray, most of the time I don't even know what I am saying myself, and my mind has a tendency to wonder off the topic that I might be praying over; maybe it's just me, but most of the time I don't think I can keep up with my own thoughts, let alone put them into some sort of a sentence that actually makes sense. Besides all of that nonsense, God actually likes to hear our voice, because after all, we are His children! And to be perfectly honest, it feels more personal to actually speak out my prayers to God than it does to silently think them out. I can actually feel the difference in the power of my prayer; not that my prayer has any sort of power, but it does seem to be more sincere when I hear myself speak the words that I am directing to my God. That said, I believe that our prayers really matter to God, whether spoken or silent, they are us speaking to Him, and He loves to have His children call upon His name; I don't think texting will work, but you never know; I have written letters to God before, I am was pretty sure He read those when I wrote them. But in regards to this verse, David is expressing a sense of sincerity in his prayer by the fact that he is using his voice; it's a lot like "hear my cry" but without the crying part being mentioned. As for the second part of this verse, there is a simple yet complex formula to what is being said and the way that it is being spoken. It's like, 'God, I am talking to you with my voice because I know that you are listening, now please help me to trust that You are there for me'. Notice that David did not say "preserve my life" and leave it at that, he said, "preserve my life from fear"; there is a big difference in the request being about him and being about his trust in God... "My enemies, whom I have never harmed, hunted me down like a bird. They threw me into a pit and dropped stones on me. The water rose over my head, and I cried out, "This is the end!" But I called on your name, LORD, from deep within the pit. You heard me when I cried, "Listen to my pleading! Hear my cry for help!" Yes, You came when I called; You told me, "Do not fear." (Lamentations 3:52-57) NLT  

No comments:

Post a Comment