Wednesday, June 3, 2015

"Being Alive"

"Thus will I bless Thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in Thy name." (Psalms 63:4) What does it mean, To have everlasting life? John 3:16 states, "that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life", so what does that mean? I am not being facetious, I am diving into something that I hope will kindle a fire within a cold heart, mainly mine! Yes, that's right; compared to what I was when I first accepted Christ into my heart, this heart seems rather cold; it needs to get fired up for Jesus again, and I am hoping for some kind of inspiration. I know it's not something that we think much about, because it's so certain; we look forward to that day, but it's not something we tend to sit around and dwell on as if it's a goal or something we hope to achieve. This verse has more to it than we might otherwise think; those three words, "while I live", have something to give us a reason to ponder, What is it that I am living for? It actually speaks of something fresh, as in something that is green or living, meaning that it is thriving and refreshed with new life of longevity. It reminds me of a verse from Song of Solomon, verse 1:16, where it says, "also our bed is green", which to me speaks about something that is always fresh and unexpected, as if it is always like the first time. Oh Jesus, what are you going to show me today? That's what I am talking about! I never want to be someone that is not expecting God to do something spectacular, just because I don't want to be moved! I want to be taken out of my comfort zone, so that God can actually use me, because I know how easy it is to get comfortable in just getting by. The second part of this verse is more about an expression of life, as in "I will lift up my hands" is a way to acknowledge the thankfulness you have in your heart for the life you have been given. It is actually more than just a gesture or moment of glee, it's more about an offering of service, as in, 'With these hands I will bless Thee'. Thus, in that regard, this verse speaks about something more of along the lines of what Paul was speaking of in Philippians 1:21, saying, "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain", meaning, that as long as he is alive, he is doing the work of Christ, and making a difference in the lives of those whom the Lord has entrusted him to minister to. Isn't that really what it's all about? We are to be an example of Christ; ambassadors of His kingdom; separated from this world, and not just get by from day to day on God's grace, but those that earnestly seek the Lord to come alive in us, that we might make Him alive to others. Yearning for God, although it gives us a desire for Him to show up and do something in our lives, it is also a desire for Him to use us to do something in this life, because it does not count for anything if it does not produce fruit...
"What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say that you have faith but don't show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, and you say, "Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well" - but then you don't give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do? So you see, faith by itself isn't enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless." (James 2:14-17) NLT    

No comments:

Post a Comment