Wednesday, January 30, 2013

"Recruit, Get In Line"

"Show me Thy ways, O LORD; teach me Thy paths." (Psalms 25:4) I know that I have shared this before, but I could not help thinking about how much I was transformed during my short stay in Boot Camp when I first entered the Navy, back in 1976. Back then it was in San Diego, and was a little warmer than where it is held now, which is Great Lakes. But I remember how stupid I thought it was that they made us march in such straight formations; like how is this going to play out in our duties aboard the ship? It didn't take long for me to catch on, that it wasn't so much about marching, but more about following directions and working as one unit together. God loves us, of that we can be completely sure; but with that love, He makes sure that we are instructional; in other words, He is not going to leave us untrained and unequipped, but is going to show us His ways and teach us His paths; that is providing we are willing to listen! I love Jon Courson's view of what heaven will be like, and how those that are unteachable here, will be 'banging pans' outside the city up there; at least that's the short version. To put it another way; let's just say, if your choice is not to be teachable now, then once you are in heaven your role is not going to be that significant. Oh, you will still be in glory, but you will waiting on others and serving the multitudes; much as your attitude towards learning His ways will suit you. While all those that diligently learned will be playing all sorts of great instruments, and in the congregation of the LORD, you will be outside, banging on your pans! How much that actually plays out, we shall see; but one thing I know, is that God wants us to be teachable. Not only should we be teachable, but we should desire instruction, just as if we were marching in formation and need to be told when to move and which way you are moving..."I am black, but comely, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, as the tents of Kedar, as the curtains of Solomon. Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me: my mother's children were angry with me; they made me the keeper of the vineyards; but mine own vineyard I have not kept. Tell me, O thou whom my soul loveth, where thou feedest, where thou makest thy flock to rest at noon: for why should I be as one that turneth aside by the flocks of thy companions?" (Song of Solomon 1:5-7)

No comments:

Post a Comment