Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"Looking For Guidance"

"Yea, let none that wait on Thee be ashamed: let them be ashamed which transgress without cause." (Psalms 25:3) Actually, it should be "Eagerly Looking", as if you must find it or else! As with the portion of Scripture that I ended yesterday's post with, sometimes when we hear the Lord calling us for fellowship, we might be ready for bed, or have some other person matter that you are involved in, and you put yourself in a place of selfishness or unavailability; only to discover that you really needed to hear from Him, and now you can't get to sleep. Can anyone relate? Like, what did I miss out on? Hopefully you learn by your mistakes, and next time before falling off to sleep, you will actually pick up that Bible and read it, or get on your knees and speak with Him; otherwise, your up in the middle of the night, shamefully wishing you had taken the time before you went to sleep! The word "wait" or "wait on", depending on your Bible, is a word that means to wait, look for, hope, expect; to wait or eagerly look for, as would be the case with anyone that is waiting to hear an answer for a question. As many of you may have found out, God does not always answer right away when we ask for something or need an answer to a decision that we are trying to make; as a matter of fact, more times than not, He will purposely wait, because He knows we need something different, and He waits for that desire to fade so that He can show us something better. If we wait on Him for guidance, we are not going to be ashamed by where we might end up; even if it might be that seems wrong and difficult to be in, we know that God led us there, so we continue to trust Him for what He will do with us there. On the other hand; those that cannot wait to hear from the Lord will sometimes seek other counsel, like confiding in friends or loved ones, or seeking out some other form of confirmation; anything to get the answer that agrees with the desire behind their question. That is a good example of the word "transgress" that is used in this verse; which means to act or deal treacherously, faithlessly, deceitfully, offend. King Saul had such a moment, as he did not hear from the Lord, so he went to a Medium for an answer (1 Samuel 28); he really did not get the answer he was looking for. If we are truly trusting on the Lord for guidance, then we will not settle for anything short of His direction; neither will we try to conjure up some kind of an answer; but we will continually ask Him until He answers, or we will take His silence as a no. The final two words of this verse are telling, for they express the manner in which people will go forward on an issue without having actually received confirmation or an answer from the Lord; the words "without cause" are meant to mean vainly or emptily, as would be the case as one sets out in his own direction in an empty condition, not with God's blessing or direction... "By night on my bed I sought him whom my soul loveth: I sought him, but I found him not. I will rise now, and go about the city in the streets, and in the broad ways I will seek him whom my soul loveth: I sought him, but I found him not. The watchmen that go about the city found me: to whom I said, Saw ye him whom my soul loveth? It was but a little that I passed from them, but I found him whom my soul loveth: I held him, and would not let him go, until I had brought him into my mother's house, and into the chamber of her that conceived me. I charge you, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, by the roes, and by the hinds of the field, that ye stir not up, nor awake my love, till he please." (Song of Solomon 3:1-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment