Tuesday, March 23, 2010

ISAIAH 55:3 - "God's Word Is Bigger Than The Sin"

"Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy lovingkindness: according to the multitude of Thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against Thee, Thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in Thy sight: that Thou mightest be justified when Thou speakest, and be clear when Thou judgest." (Psalms 51:1-4) After David sinned with Bathsheba, had her husband killed, and then married her, Nathan confronts David for the sin he had committed; 2 Samuel 12. Nathan said to David: "Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thy out of the hand of Saul; and gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things." Here God is reminding David of the Blessing that He had promised him, that He said would not be removed; ever. This is what God has established for David, and his seed; regardless of what David did against God; once God has made a promise, He means it. You have to realize something pretty obvious about God: He knows all things; present, past and future. In other words; He had pretty much known that David would fall the way he did; but God, and His will for David, Israel, and ultimately the world, are much bigger than the sin that David committed against God. David would have to suffer some consequences for the sin he committed; there are consequences for sin; and the list of his were pretty intense: "Now therefore the sword shall never depart from thine house; because thou hast despised Me, and hast taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be thy wife. Thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will raise up evil against thee out of thine own house, and I will take thy wives before thine eyes, and give them unto thy neighbour, and he shall lie with thy wives in the sight of the sun. For thou didst it secretly: but I will do this thing before all Israel, and before the sun." (2 Samuel 12:10-12) David knew after hearing this word from God, that his sin was grievous, and that he was really worthy of death; this is what he felt within his heart for what he had done. He then said to Nathan: "I have sinned against the Lord". I believe that the way this comes across in the text, it really does not justify the manner in which David expressed this confession; because he had realized in that moment, the reality of what he had done. The God that he loved so much, and that loved him more than he could imagine; the God that has established a house for him, for ever, and ever; this sin that he had committed was against that God; and it broke David's heart. But Nathan answers David's plea: "The Lord also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die. Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die." David fasted and prayed for the child to live, even though God had said that the child would die; for seven days he fasted, prayed and laid on the ground, praying to God for the child to be spared. Then after the child had died, David got up, washed himself, anointed himself, changed his clothes, went to the temple and worshipped, and then went home and eat. His servants were amazed at his behavior, and asked him in verse 21: "What thing is this that thou hast done? thou didst fast and weep for the child, while it was still alive; but when the child was dead, thou didst rise and eat bread." Now listen to David's reply; because even though he has just lost a child, he knows in his heart that this child will be with the Lord; and that he too will be there also!; he says: "While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether God will be gracious to me, that the child may live? But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me." This is the heart of 'The Man After God's Own Heart"; because for David, God's Word was bigger than any sin which he could have committed. This is what is meant by: "The Sure Mercies Of David". God's Word is bigger than any sin which we commit, because He has established it that way!!! When Jesus died on the cross, His death was for all sin; every sin that you have committed, are committing, or will commit in the future; God's Grace is sufficient, because His Grace is beyond measure! Now look what happens next in verse 24: "And David comforted Bathsheba his wife, and went in unto her, and lay with her: and she bare a son, and he called his name Solomon: and the Lord loved him". God's Word is way bigger than the sin!

No comments:

Post a Comment