Sunday, October 8, 2023

"Jesus' Trial before Pilate"

 "Jesus' trail before Caiaphas ended in the early hours of the morning. Then he was taken to the headquarters of the Roman governor. His accusers didn't go inside because it would defile them, and they wouldn't be allowed to celebrate the Passover. So Pilate, the governor, went out to them and asked, "What is your charge against this man?" 

 "We wouldn't have handed him over to you if he weren't a criminal!" they retorted.

 "Then take him away and judge him be your own law," Pilare told them.

 "Only the Romans are permitted to execute someone," the Jewish leaders replied. (This fulfilled Jesus' prediction about the way he would die.)

 Then Pilate went back into his headquarters and called for Jesus to be brought to him. "Are you the king of the Jews?" he asked him. 

 Jesus replied, "Is this your own question, or did others tell you about me?" 

 "Am I a Jew?" Pilate retorted. "Your own people and their leading priests brought you to me for trial. Why? What have you done?" 

 Jesus answered, "My Kingdom is not an earthly kingdom. If it were, my followers would fight to keep me from being handed over to the Jewish leaders. But my Kingdom is not of this world."

 Pilate said, "So you are a king?" 

 Jesus responded, "You say I am king. Actually, I was born and came into the world to testify to the truth. All who love the truth recognize that what I say is true."

 "What is truth?" Pilate asked. Then he went out to the people and told them, "He is not guilty of any crime. But you have a custom of asking me to release one prisoner each year at Passover. Would you like me to release this 'King of the Jews?" 

 But they shouted back, "No! Not this man. We want Barabbas!" (Barabbas was a revolutionary.)" (John 18:28-40 NLT) 

"I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem, if ye find my beloved, that ye tell him, that I am sick of love. What is thy beloved more than another beloved, O thou fairest among women? what is thy beloved more than another beloved, that thou dost so charge us?" (Song of Songs 5:8-9 KJV) 

 Isn't interesting how we really don't recognize our own sinful actions, because our hearts are pointed in the wrong direction! There is really no other way to consider this or figure it out: if our hearts are set on something that we are determined to do, there is really nothing we will not do to make it happen. 

 I hate to admit it, but there were several times when I had sinned, even though I had been convicted that what I was doing was wrong. I even had a hard time actually making it happen as if God was putting up barriers and trying to make me rethink everything I was trying to do. 

 That might not actually be the case we see here, but for those that are trying to have Jesus killed, that will be the way they see it, if they ever figure out that they did something that was evil...

"And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon. And David sent and inquired after the woman. And one said, Is not this Bath-sheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?" (2 Samuel 11:2-3 KJV) 

No comments:

Post a Comment