Saturday, September 23, 2023

"The Open Door"

 "But Peter stood at the door without. Then went out that other disciple, which was known unto the high priest, and spake unto her that kept the door, and brought in Peter." (John 18:16 KJV)

  "I slept, but my heart was awake, when I heard my lover knocking and calling: "Open to me, my treasure, my darling, my dove, my perfect one. My head is drenched with dew, my hair with the dampness of the night." But I have responded, "I have taken off my robe. Should I get dressed again? I have washed my feet. Should I get them soiled?"" (Song of Songs 5:2-3 NLT)

 Maybe this might be the wrong way to approach this subject, but I do believe there is something here that God wants to show us, or maybe it's just for me; either way, here it goes! Hopefully there is something that we can take from this to make us more aware of the circumstances of being in the places we go, the things we allow ourselves to do, and the people we associate with. 

 For the passage of Scripture, Song of Songs 5:2-3, it is just a little bit of what I believe keeps us from doing the right things, even though our heart might say, "I shouldn't be doing this!" Call it being lazy, if that is the excuse you prefer, or being stubborn, which might be the problem; but the bottom line, is and always will be sin: "You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! ""Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master."" (Genesis 4:7 NLT)

 First off, Peter should have been aware of the position he was placing himself into; but his curiosity had taken over his commonsense, placing him into the situation where he was going to sin. It is easy for us to see what was happening, having known the story; but when you are the character in the story, things are not all the obvious, especially when you are focused on what you want to do, and not what you shouldn't be doing. 

 Secondly, John was doing his part, without even really knowing what he was doing. Everything was in order, to take care of sitting the table for Peter to fall; now he just needed to sit at the table and partake! Whether we realize it or not, but we are always given a choice; sometimes, multiple choices and opportunities to change the course of our lives. 

 When the door is opened, pay attention and be ready to do what is right! There is always the right way and the wrong way, no matter if God opens the door, or if you open it yourself...

"My lover tried to unlatch the door, and my heart thrilled within me. I jumped up to open the door for my love, and my hands dripped with perfume. My fingers dripped with lovely myrrh, as I pulled back the bolt. I opened to my lover, but he was gone! My heart sank. I searched for him but could not find him anywhere. I called out to him, but there was no reply." (Song of Songs 5:4-6 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment