Thursday, September 21, 2023

"Peter's First Denial"

 "Simon Peter followed Jesus, as did another of the disciples. That other disciple was acquainted with the high priest, so he was allowed to enter the high priest's courtyard with Jesus. Peter had to stay outside the gate. Then the disciple who knew the high priest spoke to the woman watching the gate, and she let Peter in. The woman asked Peter, "You're not one of that man's disciples, are you?"

 "No," he said, "I am not." 

 Because it was cold, the household servants and the guards had made a charcoal fire. They stood around it, warming themselves, and Peter stood with them, warming himself." (John 18:15-18 NLT) 

  

(Shin) "Power people harass me without cause, but my heart trembles only at your word. I rejoice in your word like one who discovers a great treasure. I hate and abhor all falsehood, but I love your instructions. I will praise you seven times a day because your regulations are just. Those who love your instructions have great peace and do not stumble. I long for your rescue, LORD, so I have obeyed your commands. I have obeyed your laws, for I love them very much. Yes, I obey your commandments and laws because you know everything I do." (Psalm 119:161- 168 NLT)

 Yes, indeed! God knows everything that we do; even the things that will be done, even though we don't think about doing them; even though we might think we would not ever do them! You really cannot get away with anything, no matter how hard you might try to cover anything up, God knows your hidden secrets! 

 Just to make something clear, the "other disciple," is John. That little bit of information is not made clear; but because he did not mention the disciple's name, it is pretty obvious he is speaking of himself. Just a little bit of technical information. 

 Which reminds me of a little bit of correction to, "the first two disciples," which some have listed as "Peter and Andrew." As I have stated before, it was John and Andrew that first followed Jesus, as He took them to where He was staying; after they left following John the Baptist and started following, "The Lamb of God." 

 After hanging out with Jesus for a while, Andrew decided he needed to go find his brother, Simon. John stayed there with Jesus after Andrew had left. How awesome it is that John remembered the time of day! I cannot remember the date that I got saved, but I do know it was on a Sunday, because that is when they have church services in the jail. And I do remember it was about 11:00 in the morning...

"The following day John was again standing with two of his disciples. As Jesus walked by, John looked at him and declared, "Look! There is the Lamb of God!" When John's two disciples heard this, they followed Jesus. Jesus looked around and saw them following, "What do you want?" he asked them. They replied, "Rabbi" (which means "Teacher"), "where are you staying?" "Come and see," he said. It was about four o'clock in the afternoon when they went with him to the place where he was staying, and they remained with him the rest of the day. Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, was one of these men who heard what John said and then followed Jesus. Andrew went to find his brother, Simon, and told him, "We have found the Messiah" (which means "Christ")." (John 1:35-41 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment