Tuesday, March 7, 2023

"Do Accordingly" - Too

"If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet." (John 13:14 KJV)

   "Don't look out for your own interests, but take an interest in others too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position as a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal's death on a cross." (Philippians 2:4-8 NLT)

 I am sorry if I was making yesterday's post about me and my issues. This journal of sorts, although it might be public, it is still quite personal, which sometimes causes me to get a little too wrapped up in myself and my own interpretations of what goes on around me. That said, those things I shared yesterday, they were real; and if there is one thing that I have learned: God allows us to go through the mud, so that when the mud is washed off, we can declare the wonderful work that God has done, despite our failures and weaknesses. 

  If you really must know, the issue that I most recently had was about prayer. I was at the hospital visiting my niece, and after leaving the building, walking towards my truck, I heard a familiar voice call out my name. When I greeted her, she informed me that her brother was in there, and that he had been in there for a whole month. I could feel the Holy Spirit nudge me to pray with her, but instead, I felt the need to tell her that I didn't like being in there, especially on the 2nd floor, as my wife was in there for 3 months back in 2003. 

 After a little further discussion, her sister arrived, and they both joined each other at the door to go visit their brother. As I went to my truck to leave, I felt very heavy-hearted. I remembered that the Holy Spirit had prompted me to pray, and I did not yield to the prompting of the Spirit. It might seem like a little thing to some, but if there is anything else that I have learned: If you don't listen once, you will find it easier to not listen again! 

 Therefore, the reason for me to add verse four of Philippians two, which says, "Don't look out for your own interests, but take an interest in others too." If there is anything that I think I need to practice doing, it would be to do less talking and a whole lot more listening! God made us to listen at least twice as much as we speak, or so I have been told; It is the reason God gave one mouth and two ears...

"Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? And comfort from his love? Any fellowship together in the Spirit? Are your hearts tender and compassionate? Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose. Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves." (Philippians 2:1-3 NLT) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment