Thursday, March 2, 2023

"Either, Or, Than"

 "Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needed not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all." (John 13:10 KJV)

  "Not a single person on earth is always good and never sins." (Ecclesiastes 7:20 NLT)

 There is quite a bit to take in here, as Jesus is speaking about a couple different things, which are all connected by one single element: Sin! I might have overlooked something yesterday, as I shared about those things which I did back in the day; being baptized, which was something both my wife and I did down at Pirates Cove, in 1982. We did not really do it as a condition of salvation, we did it because it was something Jesus told us to do! 

 You can have some pretty messed up things wrong with you, but if you are obedient to the Lord, as much as you can possibly be, then your messed up life can really make a difference to those that are around you. Besides, Jesus doesn't make junk! If He has called you, that means that He has chosen you for a purpose; something that you might not even yet know what it is; but you can be certain that there is a purpose for you, so be expectant and always alert.

 To be totally honest, there are times when I forget to pay attention, and then I miss out on some very important opportunities to be a good witness for the Lord. Maybe I just didn't feel like it at the moment, or maybe I was in a dark place and feeling unusable or out of sorts. No matter how much I blow it, I know that the Lord will forgive me and give me another chance! 

 This is what He does! He has no problem forgiving us, because nothing we can do is something that He doesn't already know about! In other words, He is never surprised by the stupid things that we do. We, on the other hand, are surprised and heartbroken when we mess up; sometimes feeling as though we have really disappointed the Lord and we are no longer worthy of being his servant. 

 Basically, that is what Peter has done, as he goes from one extreme to another. We are servants, which means we do what we are told, listen for instructions, and wait for what we should do next! If you don't know what you should do, because you haven't been told, then you do what servants do: by watching for what the Master might want you to do. 

 If that doesn't help, just be humble and useable! You never know where you will end up; but you will be made useful...

"Beth - How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word. I have tried hard to find you - don't let me wander from your commands. I have hidden my word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. I praise you, O LORD; teach me your decrees. I have recited aloud all the regulations you have given us. I have rejoiced in your laws as much as in riches. I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways. I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word." (Psalm 119:9-16 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment