Sunday, March 26, 2023

"Jesus Predicts Peter's Denial"

  "As soon as Judas left the room, Jesus said, "The time has come for the Son of Man to enter into his glory, and God will be glorified because of him. And since God receives glory because of the Son, he will soon give glory to the Son. Dear children, I will be with you only a little longer. And as I told the Jewish leaders, you will search for me, but you can't come where I am going. So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples." 

 Simon Peter asked, "Lord, where are you going?" 

 And Jesus replied, "You can't go with me now, but you will follow me later." 

 "But why can't I come now, Lord?" he asked. "I'm ready to die for you." 

 Jesus answered, "Die for me? I tell you the truth, Peter - before the rooster crows tomorrow morning, you will deny three times that you even know me."" (John 13:31-38 NLT)

  ""Listen to me, you who know right from wrong, you who cherish my law in your hearts. Do not be afraid of people's scorn, nor fear their insults. For the moth will devour them as it devours clothing. The worm will eat at them as it eats wool. But my righteousness will last forever. My salvation will continue from generation to generation."" (Isaiah 51:7-8 NLT) 

 As I mentioned before, Jesus had said this prior, when Phillip and Andrew asked if the Greeks could meet with Him, as He said, "Now the time has come for the Son of Man to enter into his glory. I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels - a plentiful harvest of new lives."" (John 12:23-24 NLT)

 They really didn't understand it then, and they did not understand it after Judas left the room; they were totally clueless as to the things which were about to unfold. As was Peter's idea that he could be strong and stand up for his Lord! He might have thought he had it in him, but Jesus knew already what he would do. 

 I would have to wonder if Peter remembered what Jesus told them, regarding those that might deny Him before men, the He would deny them before the Father? Not a clue! When we think we are strong enough to do something on our own, we find out how weak we really are...

"If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall." (1 Corinthians 10:12 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment