Wednesday, October 20, 2021

"The Wrong Conclusion"

 "Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, saith, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world." (John 6:14 KJV)

  "Moses said, 'The LORD your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from among your own people. Listen carefully to everything he tells you.' Then Moses said, 'Anyone who will not listen to that Prophet will be completely cut off from God's people.'" (Acts 3:22-23 NLT)

 As with most every movement, there is almost always a desire for life to be made better, either by way of our comfort, or by way of our happiness. Who wouldn't want a little easier life, one filled with more pleasure and less discomfort? Who wants to feel burdened by living and always looking for an easier way to make ends meet? 

 If, by chance you have come to Jesus thinking your life would be made easier, you have come to the wrong conclusion! Yes, Jesus did say, "Come to me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest," but the rest we are expecting should not be that of an easier life in this world. If so, that we are expecting comfort and happiness, we will be very discouraged by the result. 

 I considered myself very fortunate to have been saved while I was in jail; there was no place to try and hide the testimony that needed to come out of me. It was uncomfortable, but at the same time, it was exciting to feel as though I had been sent free! Even though I was locked up, I was free to be used by God; and for the first time in my life, I could actually feel real joy; joy that was not based upon what I was doing, or based upon where I was; but based upon what Jesus had done, by giving me life: eternal life in Him! 

 Did I want to get out and be back at home with my family? You bet I did! But, at the same time, I was satisfied to be right where I was, used by the Lord! The longing to be home had not left me, but the hurt in my heart was no longer there. Instead, I was amazingly content, no matter where I was or what I was doing. I was blessed beyond measure! If you can imagine what that looks like from jail; which was actually not like a cell, but more like a dorm; so maybe that helped a little too.  

 Regardless, this is not what was happening in the hearts of those that had realized who Jesus was, because this was not what He came for, to give them free food to eat, or to make their lives more comfortable. The servant is never greater than his Master! Jesus said it would not be easy...

"Dear friends, don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. Instead, be very glad - for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering, so that you you will have the wonderful joy of seeing his glory when it is revealed to all the world." (1 Peter 4:12-13 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment