Thursday, July 23, 2020

"Young Woman"

"Ah, I hear my lover coming! He is leaping over the mountains, bounding over the hills. My lover is like a swift gazelle or a young stag. Look, there he is behind the wall, looking through the window, peering into the room. My lover said to me, "Rise up, my darling! Come away with me, my fair one! Look, the winter is past, and the rains are over and gone. The flowers are springing up, the season of singing birds has come, and the cooing of turtledoves fills the air. The fig trees are forming young fruit, and the fragrant grapevines are blossoming. Rise up my darling! Come away with me, my fair one!"" (S.O.S. 2:8-13 NLT)

  To set this up, I will quote the last sentence from Matthew Henry's commentary of the previous five verses: "Let those that have comfort be afraid of sinning it away." It is not just the thought of what we might miss, because the comfort we have in a right relationship with God is the greatest peace that there is; but it is that discomfort that comes from knowing our guilt, because that is by far the worst feeling that there is.
  As David put it in his famous Psalm regarding his sin with Bathsheba: "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free Spirit." (Psalms 51:10-12)
  What we have in this relationship goes far beyond anything that this world might have to offer. It is more than just perspective and feeling, because if that is all it was, there would be nothing there that we could hold onto. It is about God's love for us, which never changes, whether we fail or not, He is always right there to take our hand and help us get back up! This relationship is built upon His love for us, whatever else there might be that gets in the way, His love is there to stay!
  We really don't need to try very hard to ask Him to forgive us, but it seems impossible to ask hard enough! As the writer of Hebrews says: "Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin." (Hebrews 12:4) So we figure it is not enough to just ask for His forgiveness, as we half-heartedly considered our actions before we actually sinned; because the real pain comes from knowing He is God! "What was I thinking!" is the realization that we come to, as we consider what we have done.
  That is the kind of discomfort we can't stand, as it is more about the shame, then it is about the sin. If it was just about the sin, we could easily be done with it, and be on our merry way. That is why we must, with all our might, believe that He loves us! Not with a braggadocious attitude or arrogance, but with a thankful and humble heart, realizing what a privilege it is, to be loved by God...

"Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay; but by the law of faith. Therefore w conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and the uncircumcision through faith. Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." (Romans 3:27-31)

No comments:

Post a Comment