Friday, May 10, 2019

"Transitoriness of Life"

"The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand." (Psalms 121:5)

  To be perfectly clear, the Word of God is what we are talking about; it is that which God exalts above His name! As I look at this verse, I am torn between the two worlds that it represents. It is a lot like the simple reality of living: on the one hand we are preparing to depart this world, sooner or later, while on the other hand, we are forced to keep on living in it. There have been several cults that have taken certain dates to mean the end of the world, who have convinced people to sell all they have or abandon everything, and to simply give up living and wait for the Lord to return. That can only work for so long, because sooner or later your going to need to eat! Here is the thing that we must get a grip on when it comes to preparing for His return: it is all about serving Him! Jesus gave a very simple illustration of what that looks like, saying, "Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left." (Luke 17:35-36) So, it is not a matter of not doing what you must do to keep on living, it is a matter of what you are living for; what matters the most in this life, your life here or your life there? Either way you look at it, if you believe that God is your keeper, then you are always looking up. No matter how long you are here, whether it ends today, tomorrow, or in the Rapture, it is all in God's hand, whatever happens. Paul gives another example of what this means, saying, "For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you." (Philippians 1:23-24) Anywho, it all comes down to success, in either this life or the next; whatever shape or condition or situation or circumstance; nothing about what you are in matters, except that you are in Christ! Whether you are living like a prince or pauper, if you are not living in Christ, it is all for naught...

"LORD, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing. You guard all that is mine. The land you have given me is a pleasant land. What a wonderful inheritance! I will bless the LORD who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me. I know the LORD is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice. My body rests in safety. For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your holy one to rot in the grave. You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever." (Psalms 16:5-11) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment