Friday, May 3, 2019

"Never Quite Complete"

"My soul hath long dwelt with him that hateth peace." (Psalms 120:6)

  Don't ask, it is not about what you might think. Every since the fall, there has been something gone from mankind; call it light or righteousness, or whatever you want, it is the result of sin, a little thing that results in death. I know what you might think, death no longer has a sting for those that are in Christ. Yes, that is true for those that pass; but for those of us that get to stick around a little longer, death is a like a hard punch in the gut, over and over again. I can almost vividly recall the first funeral I remember going to, it was "Little Grandpa," who was my mother's dad. They said at the time that he died from all sorts of things; but the thing I remember most about him, was that I saw him sleeping on the couch with a burned out cigarette in his mouth and an almost empty bottle of whiskey in his hand. There were several old Bikers at his funeral, some of which looked as though they were ready to go almost any time. Apparently, my grandpa was one of the first Hell's Angels, or so I was told. My great grandmother had a picture of him and one of his friends on a couple old Harley's, the kind that had what looked like tractor seats. She told me that the guy next to him was Andy Devine, and that the picture was taken in Hollywood, close to where they all hung out. Anywho, I remember the thing that hit me the most about the funeral was how plastic he looked in the casket. It was about the time that I was ten or so, so the death thing did kind of freak me out. But I do remember telling my mom on the way home, "Grandpa was not in that body!" She asked me how I knew, and I said that it was because I did not see him there, he had left. I saw him passed out before, and even in that passed out position, he was still there; so I really believed that he was gone from that body. Whether you know it or not, you have a living soul; a part of you that does not stop living, ever! Freaky, I know; but it is not really that hard to understand, what connected us to this body, is what had also connected us to God. Sure, given the timeline and the subject matter; and figuring this is David speaking, this is about Saul and how much he hated David; no matter how hard David tried to make peace with him, the harder he tried, the more Saul hated him. But, I am a firm believer that all Scripture has several layers of testimonies and truth to be told; that there is absolutely no end to the Word of God, ever! Just when you think that you have learned it all and have nothing else to extract from these pages, God will open up a whole new layer, stuff that would have never expected at all. The main point of this is about "peace." What does peace mean to you? Where will you think to find it? If you did find it, why would you hate it? I think it comes very very close to the point God made to Cain, as well as the point Jesus made to Nicodemus, the one we call, Nic at Night...

""God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him. There is no judgement against anyone who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God's one and only Son. And the judgment is based on this fact: God's light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. All who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed. But those who do what is right come to the light so others can see that they are doing what God wants."" (John 3:17-21) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment