Wednesday, May 23, 2018

"Close To God"

"Help me, O LORD my God: O save me according to thy mercy:" (Psalms 109:26)

 I believe that this is exactly where God would have me to be; it might be painful at times, but the experience cannot be duplicated any other way. No matter what this might be written for, whether it was when he was being hunted down by Saul, or whether it was during the revolt of his son, this is the heart of a man that trusted God and was willing to accept any outcome. Given the choice of who would be in control of any disaster in our lives, it is comforting to know the God holds all the cards. Sure, people might have their way; there can always be those that might seem they could never be part of God's plan; but when all the dust settles and the truth is revealed, God has His way, always! Mercy is something that is hardly ever associated with reproach, yet it is very often one in the same. We cannot really experience real mercy without having reproach, which is a condition of shame and disgrace. Going back to what this Psalm is all about, "A Cry for Retribution," mercy can hardly be known without there first being some sort of judgement that leads to punishment; if there is no harm or punishment involved, then how can there be mercy? Here is another example of David's heart towards God, in that He trusted God's judgement would always include mercy. Personally, I don't think that David would not want God to judge him for doing something wrong; he was not the kind of man that liked to leave matters undone, especially matters between him and the LORD. He has given us an example of what that feels like, being dried up and his bones aching. (Psalms 32) It is so good to get right with God! Even when we don't think we have done anything wrong, there is always something the Lord needs to deal with in our lives; there always will be, until this body is glorified in heaven with the Lord. If you so desire to find out, then get close to God; the closer you get, the more shame you will feel; the more mercy will be required...

"Oh what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight! Yes, what joy for those whose record the LORD has cleared of guilt, whose lives are lived in complete honesty! When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long. Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me. My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat. Interlude
"Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, "I will confess my rebellion to the LORD." And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone." Interlude

No comments:

Post a Comment