Tuesday, September 12, 2017

"Less of Me..."

"My days are like a shadow that declineth; and I am withered like grass." (Psalms 102:11)
We have finally reached the turning point of this complaint; thank goodness! But this is a good point in a life of someone who is going through it, to actually realize the frailness and shortness of their physical life. This is the point when God matters more than we matter; when you know that your days are numbered, and that there is a point when this clock will run out, a lot sooner than you think. If we are counting weekends, then ten to twenty weekends fly by before you can even keep track of them; if we are counting days, don't even bother. Personally, I like the counting weekends; I can always look forward to the next: one more Saturday to rest and relax: one more Sunday to get blessed in church. Pretty soon, it will be another Sunday afternoon to head off to the mountain and snowboard on Monday. Anywho, this verse reminds me of the fact that what we do for God matters the most! I work pretty hard throughout the week; actually, I work harder than I would really want to work. My work day usually starts around 6:30 to 7:00 each morning, and I usually try to wrap it up by 8:00 each night. I don't want to complain about working so much, but it does hinder my chances of getting to enjoy some of the evening services at church. I could sneak off to church anyways, and many nights I really want to, but leaving Marianne alone stops me from enjoying the fellowship the way that I should. The most important thing that we should strive for in this life is to improve our relationship with the Lord. It is critical for our declining years that our lives draw closer and closer to what matters the most. Whatever that might mean for you, it is something that you need to make happen; it's not going to happen unless you determine in your heart to make it so. The Bible says, "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you." (James 4:8a) It is really a matter of our hearts, that we would make the effort to draw closer and closer to Him; it should actually be the desire of our heart that it should happen; and if it's not, we need to pray that it would be. Psalms 63:1 says, "O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for you. My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water." (NLT) We are not going to get any spiritual thirst quenched anywhere else but by God; He is our source for what we need to satisfy our weary souls. And without a doubt, the closer will draw to Him, the less all of the weariness appears...
"Everything has already been decided. It was known long ago what each person would be. So there's no use arguing with God about your destiny. The more words you speak, the less they mean. So what good are they? In the few days of our meaningless lives, who knows how our days can best be spent? Our lives are like a shadow. Who can tell what will happen on this earth after we are gone?" (Ecclesiastes 6:10-12) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment