Sunday, September 3, 2017

"Basic Instinct"

"Hide not thy face from me in the day when I am in trouble; incline thine ear unto me: in the day when I call answer me speedily." (Psalms 102:2)
Many mornings when I get a flashy title, I will search the title to see what might appear; I guess you can figure out what appeared with this title, it was all about sex. Not exactly what I was thinking of when the title came to mind, but then again, the world wants to make everything about sex, everything! Here is the typical place many of us find ourselves when confronting God on anything that might seem overwhelming and beyond our ability to control: Will He answer our call for help? and if He does, I need that answer right away! Some times with God the answer is silence. I know that we don't want to hear that, but it is something God does some times to get us to slow down and listen. Think about when Elijah fled to Mount Horeb, as he wanted to hear from God in a time when he felt very vulnerable and just wanted to die. If you study the account, you will note several times that God had spoken, but each time was not the word Elijah was looking for to satisfy his complaint. The most interesting part of that to me, is that God asked him twice, saying, "What doest thou here, Elijah?" The first time it was asked of him was when he had first arrived in the cave; the second time it was asked, it happened in a "still small voice." If there is one thing that I have learned over these last thirty-five years of walking with the Lord, is that He does not always answer as quick as we might want Him to answer. Part of the reason He might do that, is that His answer will not always agree with the answer we immediately want to hear. But after a while, maybe even after a few encounters with trying to find answers on our own, the answer we were looking for was really there all along, we just needed to be in the right frame of mind to listen. I believe God's way of doing things, although they might not always make sense, they are always to give Him the glory. In other words, we don't have the answers for God, so we should not assume that the way we might see the answer to our problem is the way that God will answer; because more likely than not, His answer will not be the one that we were looking for. It is the times like those where we just need to trust and wait. I know it's hard; I know it might hurt a little; but God is always working in the background to complete your request, even though the answer might not match your initial request. Actually, to be more perfectly spoken: His answer will not match your initial request, because our ways are temporal, but His are eternal...
"When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely. Three things will last forever -faith, hope, and love -and the greatest of these is love." (1 Corinthians 13:11-13) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment