Tuesday, February 2, 2016

"Nearsightedness"

"For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning." (Psalms 73:14) I don't care how you feel about what this verse might imply, it is easy to understand why so many Christians walk around with long faces, looking as though someone has stolen their little red wagon. This is not to hard to comprehend as the main problem for the loss of joy in many believers; it's all because they have this cross to bear, and they feel as though they have "plagued" by it, as if a dark cloud is following them everywhere they go. I hate to admit it, but I have found myself doing the same from time to time. It's really not that hard to do; rather, it is quite easy to find yourself 'long-faced' and looking like you have been given the short end of the stick. If you think that might be bad, then what about being "chastened every morning?" I can only imagine what might have been going through the writer's mind. Waking up and hoping it will all be over, or maybe that it was just a bad dream; only to discover when you open your eyes, the nightmare continues. Being "plagued" is something the world might put upon you, as in feeling defeated or stricken down because of what you are; but "chastened" is something meant for God to be doing, as if God just wants to punish you over and over, every single morning. You can see how easy it is to look at your life in such a way; especially if you sight is focused on the things of this world. But we have a more glorious treasure that awaits us! Nothing here on this earth can compare to what is waiting for us in heaven! I heard someone say it yesterday, it might have been pastor Jack, saying, "If you think God have made things beautiful here, imagine the beauty of what He has made in heaven." Just to study what John wrote about in Revelation, it does not come close to what he actually saw, of that I am sure. Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 12:2-4 of how he was "caught up to the third heaven," which was most likely the time in which he was stoned and taken out of the city as dead. In verse four, Paul uses the word "unspeakable" to describe what he heard, not mentioning what he saw, but just the sounds alone were enough to leave him speechless and unable to describe the atmosphere he experienced. We have no idea what we are waiting to experience; only that this life we have now is like a shadow or a mist compared to what awaits. Get your eyes on heaven! Stop hanging your head in shame, and start looking up, because there is where your home is, not here...   "That experience is worth boasting about, but I'm not going to do it. I will boast only about my weaknesses. If I wanted to boast, I would be no fool in doing so, because I would be telling the truth. But I won't do it, because I don't want anyone to give me credit beyond what they see in my life or hear in my message, even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud. Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:5-10) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment