Sunday, February 7, 2016

"Slippery Places" -2

"Surely thou didst set them is slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction." (Psalms 73:18) Yes, I like that part about the "eagles' feathers" and "birds' claws," it paints a pretty good picture of a man's ungroomed character after seven years of eating grass with the oxen. It also shows the mighty hand of God, and how God can totally do whatever He wants, with whomever He wants, whenever He wants, even the most powerful man in the world! You think that is a pretty good illustration for this verse? I mean, it pretty much sums up the facts. God did set Nebuchadnezzar up by giving him a dream of what was going to happen; and then Daniel even advised him to change his ways. So, you could consider that as being "set" on "slippery places" to mean that God made the slide for him to slide down; it's like God said, "Here it is, now go ahead and go down, if you think you're so mighty!" The rest is history, because God has already seen what the choices and the outcomes will be. I think we can see that through all the many prophecies that have been fulfilled just as God proclaimed that they would. Now regarding the "destruction" in the second part of this verse, which is a word found in only two Scriptures, this one and Psalms 74:3. The word is 'masshuw'ah' and it appears to mean "ruin" or "desolation." Here is what I can get from all my Bible experience (what little that might add up to), that God gives us the instructions on how we are to live, and He gives us the results of the choices we make; He even shows us how weak and miserable we are at doing what's right; but He, as a loving Father that He is, wants us to let Him fix us. He already knows the mess you will make of your life, way before you can ever accomplish messing it up; but He is in the business of fixing broken lives! My fix might not be yours, and your fix might not look like anyone else; but He knows what it will take to fix you, just the way you are! So! (A needle pulling thread.) God's plan of salvation is for 'ruin' to take place in the here and now, so that He can recreate us to not face the 'ruin' in the thereafter...
"After this time had passed, I, Nebuchadnezzar, looked up to heaven. My sanity returned, and I praised and worshiped the Most High and honored the one who lives forever. His rule is everlasting, and his kingdom is eternal. All the people of the earth are nothing compared to him. He does as he pleases among the angels of heaven and among the people of the earth. No one can stop him or say to him, 'What do you mean by doing these things?' When my sanity returned to me, so did my honor and glory and kingdom. My advisers and nobles sought me out, and I was restored as head of my kingdom, with even greater honor than before. Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and glorify and honor the King of heaven. All his acts are just and true, and he is able to humble the proud." (Daniel 4:34-37) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment