Tuesday, February 17, 2015

"My Soul's Embrace"

"I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth all things for me." (Psalms 57:2) The NLT says, "to God who will fulfill His purpose for me", which is more the interpretation that I see being spoken. In a literal sense, if we can rest in God's mercy, then it's His purposes for us that keep us around. Yesterday I heard two different pastors, in the span of less than an hour, say the same exact thing; speaking about a man that was thanking God that he had not sinned yet today, but now it was time to get out of bed, and he cried out to God to help him get through the day. How often do we actually do that? Ask God to help us get through the day? We would be well to do, if we would just realize how much we need His help to get through each day, let along to ask Him for His help; at least if we realized that we needed His help, then we would step out a little more cautiously. What is my purpose? you might be asking; and if so, then you are looking at it from the wrong perspective; because it is not our purpose that we should be concerned with, but His. What is God's purpose for my life? Jesus walked upon this earth to fulfill the Father's purpose; to do His will, not His own will: "Not My will, but Thine be done" (Luke 22:42). It is important that we remember who is in charge of our life, because it is so easy to get distracted by those that will try and tell you that you are in charge of your own destiny. Even the definition of the word should tell you that is not so, because the word actually means, a predetermined course of events; so if it's predetermined, then where does "you have control" come into that picture? If we really stop and think about how little we are in comparison to the plan that God has, we are hardly nothing; yet He has a purpose for our lives! That just blows my mind! We don't even realize all that God is doing in and through us; all we can hope to do, is to see a little fruit in our own lives; but those lives that we do not see, I don't think we can even imagine the chain reaction that God can create from one random act of kindness, or one word that is spoken in His name. I was listening to an interview that Pastor Greg did with Pastor Chuck, and Pastor Chuck said that there was something he heard, way back when, that got him to think about the ministry, because he wanted to be a doctor; and what he had heard was, "Only one life, it will soon be past; Only what's done for Christ will last". So he was faced with a choice; he could either help people with their health, which really would not last very long, or he could help them with where their souls would end up, which would last forever... "And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: that your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." (1 Corinthians 2:1-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment