Tuesday, December 16, 2014

"Men Are Evil"

Psalms 53: [To the chief Musician upon Mahalath, Maschil, A Psalm of David.] As I was saying, there is a reason that I believe this Psalm has been placed where it is; although it is very similar the Psalms 14 which followed "A Psalm for Help", and yet this one follows "God's Judgment and Grace", they represent a certain pattern that tends to plague even the strongest believer. First of all I want to address this word 'Mahalath' that is used in the introduction; it's a word that has meaning 'dubious', which is a word that I heard a lot of when I was growing up, and it means doubtful, or always questioning; not to be relied upon, or suspect; which is probably why I heard so much, because my mom would always use it to explain my composure. Evil has several different points of view, but is seldom in line with the one that is right. Beyond doing that which is evil, this speaks more to the root of evil that is in our hearts; always in doubt, always questioning; not to be relied upon, and always suspect. If you could point to one specific flaw that makes this happen in each and every one of us, it might be that we lack two very important ingredients that remove all doubt: faith and love. It's not that we cannot have faith, because we most surely can; it's just that we place our faith in many of the wrong places. And it's not that we cannot love, because we prove over and over how much we love our sin; yet, it's God's love that we need, and then we might keep from sinning. Two basic things that so many people speak about, yet the two most important things that so many know so little about; faith and love pretty much go hand in hand with righteousness, which is the opposite of evil; yet we seldom experience the fruit of walking in the power of both of them together. Maybe I am just being cynical; and then again, maybe I am speaking from experience; more than that, maybe God is speaking to me about my own character; or maybe I have no clue of what I am saying; it's all so 'dubious', as am I... "Through desire a man, having separated himself, seeketh and intermeddleth with all wisdom. A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself. When the wicked cometh, then cometh also contempt, and with ignorance reproach. The words of a man's mouth are as deep waters, and the wellspring of wisdom as a flowing brook." (Proverbs 18:1-4)  

No comments:

Post a Comment