Friday, August 2, 2024

"Unhappiness"

 "There is a sore evil which I have seen under the sun, namely, riches kept for the owners thereof to their hurt." (Ecclesiastes 5:13 KJV)

  "Such is the fate of all who are greedy for money; it robs them of life." (Proverbs 1:9 NLT)

 There are some who think happiness is something we experience from having things and being well off as if there were certain pleasures in owning stuff and making lots of money. My mom would say, "Money cannot by happiness!" Truth be told, there are certain days when I really don't feel all that happy. 

 Again, Solomon is expressing what it is like under the sun: which, as mentioned before, is about those who have their hope based upon this life, this temporary and fragile life, which is going to be gone, sooner or later! The more we dwell upon the things we get from this life, things which will soon pass away, the less secure we feel, the more unhappy we become with this existence. 

 What is it that make me unhappy, you might ask? Pastor Chuck once said, "There is a big difference between joy and happiness." He based that upon the fact that our joy cannot be taken, because it is from the Lord; but happiness is a feeling, which comes and goes based upon things which happen in our lives. 

 Certain things will trigger me to be unhappy; mostly things which involve pleasant memories of the time my wife and I did something, or the simple things that remember doing, which cannot be done. Like the simple way we held each other, holding hands and walking along the beach, and talking about things, anything; it would be nice to hear her voice! 

 Believe it or not, but just this minute, as I am about less than twenty feet away, and in another room, she just let out a big moan! That makes me happy...

"O LORD, you alone are my hope. I've trusted you, O LORD, from childhood. Yes, you have been with me from birth; from my mother's womb you have cared for me. No wonder I am always praising you!" (PSALM 71:5-6 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment