Tuesday, August 6, 2024

"Seeking Eternal Life"

 "And this also is a sore evil, that in all points as he came, so shall he go: and what profit hath he that hath laboured for the wind?" (Ecclesiastes 5:16 KJV)

  "They found him on the other side of the lake and asked, "Rabbi, when did you get here?" Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, you want to be with me because I fed you, not because you understood the miraculous signs. But don't be so concerned about perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life the Son of Man can give you. For God the Father has given me the seal of his approval."" (John 6:25-27 NLT)

 Matthew Henry gives an interesting illustration of what this verse is all about, saying, "But if we labour only for the world, to fill our hands with that, we cannot take that away with us; we are born with our hands griping, but we die with them extended, letting go what we held fast." 

 Truth be told, this life is a journey; one in which we progress, making strives, (sometimes falling back,) to become whatever it is that God has called us to be, by His will and purposes. As I said before, and need to remind myself, over and over again: We don't get to change what we have done, because it has already been done; but God can use our mistakes for His opportunities!

 Yes, we have been given eternal life in Christ, but we still need to live out that life we have been given! As I was reading 2 John to my wife last night, I thought about something that John had written, as if it was something that had been misconstrued by the translators. He says: "Watch out that you don't lose what we worked so hard to achieve. Be diligent so that you receive your full reward. Anyone who wanders away from this teaching has no relationship with God. But anyone who remains in the teaching of Christ has a relationship with both the Father and the Son." (2 John 8-9 NLT)

 In other words, we must remain in Christ! That parable about the Sower, is not just about a moment, as if there is certainty to what kind of a seed you will become; because there is more to this journey than we might think we are or will be, because we do not really know. I can say with all certainty of my heart, "I will never stop following Jesus!" But if I don't keep following Jesus, then where does that put me? 

 I could not help but think of that Rich Young Ruler who came running to Christ, knelt down, and asked, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" He came to find an answer, with such desperation and want; but left unanswered, because he was grasping that which he could not keep! 

 Isn't that amazingly foolish? Yet, it can still happen to any one of us, if we are not paying attention...

""No one lights a lamp and then covers it with a bowl or hides it under a bed. A lamp is placed on a stand, where its light can be seen by all who enter the house. For all that is secret will eventually be brought into the open, and everything that is concealed will be brought to light and made known to all. So pay attention to how you hear. To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what they think they understand will be taken away from them."" (Luke 8:16-18 NLT)  

No comments:

Post a Comment