Monday, June 3, 2019

"Washed Over"

"Then the waters had overwhelmed us, the stream had gone over our soul:" (Psalms 124:4)

  Strange as it might sound, but I was beginning to think that I had made a mistake, that I should have just grouped all five of these verses together and been done with it all at once. Not a chance! There is something important here that needs to be seen, a perfect picture of what it means to be sanctified and refined, in spite of the lack of faith, and in spite of the willingness to do what we are told to do. There is something very important that we need to understand about our position in Christ, something that we probably will not totally understand until we are finally standing in His presence: We are the property of Christ Jesus, from now and forevermore! The point that I believe Paul was making in Ephesians 5:32, is one of being One with Christ. This is something that cannot be undone, but is literally "A Marriage Made In Heaven." How does this have anything to do with this verse? And what does "Washed Over" have to do with anything of our position in Christ? I would like to think of it like a rock in a riverbed or a steam. Peter described us as, "Lively Stones," which means that we are alive and living, right here, right now, but that we are also "built up in a spiritual house." Think of it as though your current body, which contains a soul, is like that rock in the stream or riverbed that is constantly being washed over by the water, taking away all of the things that are not of the Lord; things like lack of faith, unwillingness to obey, pride and selfishness; all the things that are what you would hope to be but cannot be on your own. A polished stone is what you become; not by cleaning yourself up, but by letting Christ wash over you with His Word! Isn't that amazing how that works! Jesus being the Chief Cornerstone, having a totally different affect on those that do not find Him precious and believe in Him, and those that find Him offensive and believe not. For those that find precious, they are refined and made perfect; those that find Him offensive, not so much...

  "Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me. Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life. I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God? Why are thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God." (Psalms 42:7-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment