Friday, September 21, 2018

"Attitude of Gratitude"

"I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the LORD." (Psalms 116:17)

 It is really not a matter of just being thankful, because the thanksgiving should come naturally; but it is more a matter of feeling obligated to show thankfulness, which is what gratitude actually means. The point is that of being in a readiness to show our appreciation for what He has done. Life is so unexpected sometimes, to be ready sometimes requires discipline and an little effort. I fail almost every time that I am tested! Seriously, I lack the patience it takes to just relax and take whatever it is that might disrupt my day. I am not talking about big issues, because those things are automatically given to the Lord, almost immediately, as soon as they show up. But it is the little things, the things that are annoying or contrary to my specific plans. This is really where I need some heavy duty help; and I always know what I need to do, I just hardly ever actually do it in the moment. That is what I feel God is speaking into my heart about this morning, to be ready to offer the sacrifice of thanksgiving; making it the plan of action, as if my day were designed to offer the sacrifice, and I am just waiting for the chance to offer by calling upon the name of the LORD. Not to call out for Him to make something happen, but for Him to give me patience and the ability to be humble. The problem I see happening in my life, is that of not being prepared to offer a sacrifice; when the moment comes, I have not prepared for it, so I fail the test. Then I need to ask forgiveness for my failure and feel really bad for not being humble in the first place. But that's just me...

"Under the old system, the high priests brought the blood of animals unto the Holy Place as a sacrifice for sin, and the bodies of the animals were burned outside the camp. So also Jesus suffered and died outside the city gates to make his people holy by means of his own blood. So let us go out to him, outside the camp and bear the disgrace he bore. For this world is not our permanent home; we are looking forward to a home yet to come. Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name. And don't forget to do good and to share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God." (Hebrews 13:11-16) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment