Thursday, September 6, 2018

"A Perfect Place"

"Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee." (Psalms 116:7)

 Regardless of what of you might think of your condition, you might just be exactly where God would have you to be. In my younger days trying to learn how to raise a family and manage my time well enough to enjoy doing so, I was listening to motivational tapes by Zig Ziglar and reading his book, Confessions of a Happy Christian. One of the greatest things that I took away from that, was to enjoy the moment. It was a simple concept about not thinking about whatever it was that you could be doing, but to focus upon what you are doing, and make it enjoyable. Zig gave an example that I sometimes forget to put into practice. He shared about a flight that he showed up to board, and was informed that there was a problem and that he needed to wait for another flight. Instead of getting upset and making a scene, he simply accepted it as God's will and told the person how happy he was to avoid a problem, and then thanking them for giving him another flight. Not exactly the normal reaction for most; most of us would cause a scene and demand to be on the flight we paid for. But we forget that God's hand is upon our life; at least that is what we should be expecting and believing is the case. With that in mind, we can look at every situation as another adventure; whether we planed it or not, God is in control, and God has something in store for us to experience. Another aspect is that of rest; if we are constantly thinking of something else we should be doing, then we are never able to rest because we are always traveling in our mind to be somewhere else. It is all about living in the moment, wherever and whatever you are doing, you do it as unto the Lord. I sure wish I put that into practice more often; but instead, I seem to be rushing from one place to the next, always trying to keep up and never really taking the time to enjoy the moment. When it comes to our spiritual life and wherever that might be, I would like to think that God has His hand upon that also. If there is something I am dealing with, some kind of spiritual battle, then He has allowed it to happen and I need to take notice of what He is trying to get me to learn; what kind of lesson is God showing me or what is the good in this or that. Instead of worrying about what or where I should be, let God deal with me where I am at...

"Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."" (Matthew 11:28-30) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment