Saturday, June 23, 2018

"Perfect Promises"

"He hath given meat unto them that fear him: he will ever be mindful of his covenant." (Psalms 111:5)

 I was reminded of something yesterday about God's promise to bless those who faithfully give. It is not so much a matter of whether or not it is required, but whether or not it is something we desire. In other words, is it something that we look forward to do, and do we enjoy it? The Lord loves a cheerful giver, is something quoted all the time, and more than too often, that word cheerful is described as hilarious; almost as if it were something out of control. To a certain extent, I will agree with that; because there are times when giving the amount agreed upon seems totally hilarious, as in, I really can't afford to do this, but I can't afford not to either. On the other hand, cheerful is also meant to be something that is pleasant and makes us feel good, as in something we enjoy doing. Pastor Jeff was sharing about how he encourages those who question giving ten percent of all that they get, by saying he will pay all of their bills if they are not totally blessed after 90 days of faithfully giving. This was something I remember reading about in a  book, Your Money Matters, back when my wife and I were going through pre-marital counseling in the beginning of 1982. The author of the book would make the same agreement with his clients, and it encouraged me to make tithing ten percent of everything that I received a requirement, no matter where it came from or how much it was. It is not something that I believe is negotiable and it is something I feel blessed to do. A cheerful giver is someone that gives because he can, because he has been given something to give, unconditionally. It really is not ours anyways, so why should it matter? If God has given you an amount of money to use, why wouldn't you enjoy giving ten percent of it away? Isn't it more blessed to give than to receive? So a cheerful given is someone that loves to get blessed! Besides, what you hold back from the offering will be taken away as spoil, so why spoil a blessing? God loves a cheerful giver; if you doubt it is true, check it out; test Him and see for yourself...

""Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there is enough food in my Temple. If you do," says the LORD of Heaven's Armies, "I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour our a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test! Your crops will be abundant, for I will guard them from insects and disease. Your grapes will not fall from the vine before they are ripe," says the LORD of Heaven's Armies. Then all nations will call you blessed, for your land will be such a delight," says the LORD of Heaven's Armies." (Malachi 3:10-12) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment