Thursday, August 24, 2017

"Setting the Groundwork"

"I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me." (Psalms 101:3)
Don't get me wrong, no one was trying to claim to be perfect; none of us are the way that we should be, so how can anybody truthfully say that they are, because they can not. But, if you were looking for some way to strive to be perfect, then this is a very good place to start. I heard a message from Pastor Matt yesterday afternoon; he was speaking about the children of Israel and the first time that they were going to cross over the Jordan River. To try and make his point, Matt said, "You Know, the thing that you fear most, is the thing that you put your faith in." At first I was a little blindsided and did not quite know what to think of that statement; but after thinking about more, it became totally clear to me that he was right. Here we had the children of Israel, God's children, being offered to be given a land flowing with milk and honey, and yet they rejected it all based upon some giants that were reported to be living in the land. I mean, what would you rather do, die while suffering or die while being blessed? I saw a bumper sticker that was a quote, I believe, and it said, "If I die while speeding, don't mourn for me, because I died with a smile on my face." If you could die being blessed or die suffering, which one would make more sense? Unfortunately, the world would look upon it totally different, saying things like, "He had so much going for him, how tragic," if you were to die while everything was going great in your life. Or if things weren't, they might say, "At least not he is better off, he won't be suffering any longer." The children of Israel would rather had died than cross that river; what kind of crazy nonsense is that, to be afraid of some giants when you are under the loving care of a great and awesome God? They feared those giants more than they feared God; thus, they had more faith that the giants would destroy them, than they did that God would keep them safe. It's a pretty simple thing to figure out; which is why Moses said, "Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God, and serve him, and swear by his name." (Deuteronomy 6:13) I mean, let's get serious; if we are going to put our trust in God, then it needs to be trust that has substance; if we are going to make a promise to God, then we should also believe that God can deliver. I remember lighting that middle candle at our wedding, and how we were instructed my Pastor Mike that it was like a rope, the three twines being bound together as one rope. That's pretty much the same way we need to make a promise to God, it is based upon us being bound together with Him, and the promise will be fulfilled on that principle...
"God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, "God is tempting me." God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else. Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death." (James 1:12-15) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment