Saturday, August 19, 2017

"All The Time, God Is Good"

"For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." (Psalms 100:5)
Although this Psalm is rather short, it comes in the midst of two Psalms that are something to make us think about why we must be thankful and rejoice in every situation or trial. The last Psalm was one that spoke about God's faithfulness, if not just to us, His children, God's is faithful in His word. God's word is the most important thing that we have in this world; and yet, it is also the thing most put down by those who do not cherish it as the Word of God. The next Psalm is one that is based upon man's word, as in our promises to God. You know what I mean; those little promises we make in times of feeling either threatened or overwhelmed. They could also be promises that are made when we feel strong and think we can keep promises to God. Regardless, this little Psalm is planted right between the word of God and man; just a little reminder of how important it is that God's mercy is everlasting. God had mercy upon me when I first came into this world; He had mercy upon me when I was first put in jail; He had mercy upon me when I broke my first promise to Him; and He has had mercy upon me as I have broken almost every promise since the day that I gave Him my heart. If you stop and think about it, there are two generations within every believer's life; there is the old and the new, before you were born again and after. In each of those lives there were promises that were made to God; the ones where we really did not know Him, and the ones where we did. Maybe that was not the case for you; or maybe you just don't remember. Personally, I remember promising God that I would never do anything wrong again, as I sat in a jail at the age of twelve. I had no idea who God was, except that I needed Him and wanted to be out of that jail. The greatest thing we have on this earth is the Word of God. He has given it to us so that we might learn of Him, believe in Him, and teach others to do the same. His Word will never pass away, and yet there are some who say it will no longer be important in heaven; to which I say, Wrong! The Word of God is eternal...
"For example, there was God's promise to Abraham. Since there was no one greater to swear by, God took an oath in his own name, saying, "I will certainly bless you, and I will multiply your descendants beyond number." Then Abraham waited patiently, and he received what God had promised. Now when people take an oath, they call on someone greater than themselves to hold them to it. And without any question that oath is binding. God also bound himself with an oath, so that those who received the promise could be perfectly sure that he would never change his mind. So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. It leads us through the curtain into God's inner sanctuary. Jesus has already gone in there for us. He has become our eternal High Priest in the order of Melchizedek." (Hebrews 6:13-20) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment