Saturday, August 26, 2017

"Pinpoint the Issue"

"A forward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person." (Psalms 101:4)
As it is with most issues of the heart, they pretty much all are connected to pride and envy. Pride is what makes us think that we have a right to do whatever we want, and envy is what causes us to want what others might have. These are common issues with almost every temptation that we come to face with in just about every area of our lives, whether it be physical, financial, and sometimes, even spiritual. I might not totally understand where it is that the Lord is taking me; most days, I do even know what it is that I am going to say; but if there is one thing that I have learned, it is that I need to be prepared to be amazed. The reason I have tried to tie this to wedding vows, is that wedding vows are involved the issues that seem to cause us the most problems. Better or for worst; richer or poorer; in sickness and in health. Those are pretty much the issues of the heart that make or break our promises; and we either allow it to happen, or we don't! When it comes to making a promise with God, we always have something hiding within our hearts that will help us to break that promise; whether that be some kind of sin that we are holding on to, or even the doubt that He is even real; but there is something about the human heart that always plans for the alternative. Take the point of Adam being with Eve while she was tempted. I know it's not proven that he was, except for the minor mentioning of it in God's word; but entertaining the thought, you can see the point that I am trying to make. When Jesus spoke about counting the cost, I don't think that He was speaking lightly. As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure that He was making a point about being fully committed, no matter what the cost! If Adam was there, he might have used Eve to see what might happen; but more than that, he sinned against God by doing so; after all, they had become one flesh! That was the point in a Christian movie called, "Marriage Retreat," where the bottom line to the issue was about being one flesh: "If you fail, I fail!" That is also the common issue within the church, and was what Paul was talking about as he explained how we are all a part of the Body of Christ. You cannot cut off a toe without hurting the body; neither can you allow sin to dwell in you without it ruining your commitment to the Lord. Pinpoint the issue and get it out...
"Don't team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness? What harmony can there be between Christ and the devil? How can a believer be a partner with an unbeliever? And what union can there be between God's temple and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God said: "I will live in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they will be my people. Therefore, come out from among unbelievers, and separate yourselves from them, says the LORD. Don't touch their filthy things, and I will welcome you. And I will be your Father, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the LORD Almighty."" (2 Corinthians 6:14-18) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment