Thursday, November 26, 2015

"A Prayer of an Aged Man"

Psalms 71 "In Thee, O LORD, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion."
Okay, let me say right off the bat, this is the Title above this Psalm in my Bible; just in case you hadn't got that by now. This Psalm is one of the few that does not have an introduction; although it is written by David, it seems to be more geared for anyone that is getting up in age, especially those that are looking forward to, and getting closer to their end on this earth. Not that I fall into that category quite yet, but I think when you are approaching sixty, your younger days on this earth are behind you. Just so I would not be discouraged by any of that, I bought a new snowboard this year to help me feel motivated to hit the sloops. Some people like surfing, I like to snowboard; it's really not about staying in shape, it's more about the rush. For anyone that is celebrating it, Happy Thanksgiving! I would say that over 60% of those keeping up with me are from the United States, so I know there are a few of you. Tragically, I slept in today; of all days to sleep in, and I had to pick the day of giving thanks! The sun has not beat me up in many years, but this morning it did; and guess what, I'm alright with that. I never thought I would say it, but I did not freak out, or immediately jump out of bed in a panic; something I imagined myself doing if it should ever happen; no, I just got up and thanked the Lord for another day to care for my wife and share with the ones I love. We really do have so many things to be thankful for, the most of which is our eternity with Jesus that awaits. Don't forget to make mention of that today, because it is becoming more and more dear as the day approaches. This Psalm starts off with two important points that are good for remembering, especially for those of us that are getting up there in years. First and foremost, that it is God we put our trust in, and God alone! No matter what others might say, or how far off the path we ourselves might wander, there is no other place to put all of our trust than in the Lord! The second point factors into this, because the second point speaks of 'shame' or of 'being put to shame.' It is not that we don't have anything to be shameful of, because we do; but when it comes to how we stand with God, those things are nonexistent in the light of Jesus and by the power of His blood. Try as you might, I don't think anyone can do anything that cannot be forgiven. There is such a thing as not being forgiven; but, this such a thing is not a factor for those that are seeking forgiveness; so don't let anyone try to "put to confusion" your ability to be saved! Those that do not receive forgiveness are those that do not ask for it, or do not think they need to be forgiven. So, if you think of that important truth, then the second part of this verse is completed by the first...
 "You are coming to Christ, who is the living cornerstone of God's temple. He was rejected by people, but He was chosen by God for great honor. And you are living stones that God is building into His spiritual temple. What's more, you are His priests. Through the mediation of Jesus Christ, you offer spiritual sacrifices that please God. As the Scriptures say, "I am placing a cornerstone in Jerusalem, chosen for great honor, and anyone who trusts in Him will never be disgraced."" (1 Peter 2:4-6) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment