Tuesday, November 24, 2015

"A Real Adjustment"

"Let all those that seek Thee rejoice and be glad in Thee: and let such as love Thy salvation say continually, Let God be magnified." (Psalms 70:4) There really isn't much more you can add to what the writer of Hebrews was getting at, except for the fact that the humiliation Jesus suffered on the cross far out does any humiliation we could suffer confessing our sins openly and humbly. When you really stop and think about that, for God to allow such shame to be poured out upon Himself, what could we even consider possible to compare to that? I have those four words triple underlined in my Bible, as a reminder that God needs all the glory, continually! I never want to get to the place where I feel that I somehow deserve any sort of praise for doing good or having been responsible for anything; it's always about what He has done for us, never about what we can do for Him! If we could just rest in that, then maybe God might actually get something done in us. But we always are comparing our imperfections to what we expect, instead of trusting in God's perfection and holiness, which He has accounted towards us. It is really not that difficult to comprehend, not that difficult at all! "Let all those that seek Thee rejoice and be glad in Thee," is not saying, let all those that seek Thee rejoice because they found you, but that they rejoice because they found out who God is and what He has done! That is more important than thinking we have stumbled upon God, or that we have done anything to add to what He has done in us; left to ourselves, we would not have a prayer of making the right choices. After all, there are so many different choices to be made, I don't see myself capable of doing what was right, not in the condition that I was in; not without some real adjustment in the attitude of my heart...  "For we who worship by the Spirit of God are the ones who are truly circumcised. We rely on what Christ Jesus has done for us. We put no confidence in human effort, though I could have confidence in my own effort if anyone could. Indeed, if others have reason for confidence in their own efforts, I have even more! I was circumcised when I was eight days old. I am pure-blooded citizen of Israel and a member of the tribe of Benjamin - a real Hebrew if there ever was one! I was a member of the Pharisees, who demand the strictest obedience to the Jewish law. I was so zealous that I harshly persecuted the church. And as for righteousness, I obeyed the law without fault. I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with Him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God's way of making us right with Himself depends on faith." (Philippians 3:3-9) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment